TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums
Community Rules Today's Posts Search

View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 06:01 AM   #66
Pravus Prime
Ancient Spirit of Evil
So, that's season 1.

Overall I really enjoyed this series, unlike many 80's properties, I felt like they could've expanded on a lot of their ideas, rather then being too thin. As I mentioned in the very first post in this thread, there's enough story that they could have entire series just telling the story of what happened before the pilot episode began and they don't drop the ball after the pilot either. There are enough factions, locations, and characters that they really managed to create that have some depth and interest to them rather then being simple plot coupons. While this is probably best for a different topic, I have to say that the new series feels far thinner by comparison in terms of mythology and story content by comparison.

It also helps that there is enough variety that the series always felt fresh and fun. Mumm-Ra, the Mutants, and other villains were varied in either solo episodes or combined ones that it never got stale. Furthermore, while we the audience knows the ThunderCats were going to "win" week after week, there wasn't the villian decay that other properties suffered from, partly due to variety and partly due to the fact that we see our heroes lose for sometimes the majority of the episode. Lion-O doesn't always best Mumm-Ra, in fact he doesn't even have the greatest track record in 1 on 1 confrontations, something that makes this ensemble show stand out IMHO.

As I mentioned in the first post, I only really remembered about 4 episodes, (though I probably saw most of them), but from my perspective, I was essentially watching this as a brand new series. What a ride it's been so far, I've been having a good time. From here on out however, it's 100% new to me. I never saw the movie and the series after this point as my local affiliate had moved it to a different timeslot so I never saw any of the remaining episodes.

Some favorite episodes:
  • The Mumm-Ra Berbil
  • All That Glitters
  • Snarf Takes up the Challenge
  • Trapped
  • The Thunder-Cutter
  • Lion-O's Anointment Final Day: The Trial of Evil
  • The Transfer
  • Monkian's Bargain

I'll be watching the Movie after I post this, I hope it'll be a good time. I'm sure the animation will be pretty good!

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 11-30-2011 at 06:04 AM..
Pravus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote