TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums
Community Rules Today's Posts Search

View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 06:00 AM   #67
Pravus Prime
Ancient Spirit of Evil
Before I talk about the movie, I'd like to mention one aspect of the series as a whole that I've neglected, the operatic leitmotifs this series has. It's so rare that we get real leitmotifs anymore and to get so many with this series that each are unique and well done is fantastic. What's more is that several of them have variations that get used.

Anyway, onto ThunderCats - Ho!. What a mixed bag we've got here. There are a ton of references and cameos, lots of plot twists and turns, but at the same time, so many "TO SELL TOYS" moments as well, which is really a first for this series. In addition to many characters seemingly being there because they have an action figure that needs to be sold (Haichiman and Hammerhand and crew in particular), the new vehicles felt like flagrant advertising moments.

I'm not sure when work was started on this; if it's like the original Transformers Movie which started production when the second season was just getting made, or if this really did start at the end of the series, but if it's the latter, then there really is no excuse for some of the plot holes. Where is the Feliner? How is it that the Thundertank can cross the world practically and can reach the depths of the oceans, but can't make it to the island where the Thundarians are? The Sword of Omens also seemed rather nerfed as well, or perhaps because it didn't have those powers yet in the writers room that later episodes would imbue it with.

I was right in that the animation was pretty good, and the script called for a large cast and did some interesting stuff in keeping the ThunderCat cast seperated. However, this was a really thin story, perhaps the thinnest since Safari Joe, chock full of rather silly plot convenience. That an entire group of Thundarians were picked up by some Berbils (who are not native to Third Earth?!?), crash land on Earth and be sufficiently hard to find while never bothering to go beyond their island and never seeing the Eye of Thundera at any point when Lion-O made the call? Then suddenly everyone knows about them for this special is asking way too much of my suspension of disbelief. It felt forced and silly.

Then there's the new cats. I don't care for them at this point. Part of where I think ThunderCats really worked is because it was such a well balanced ensemble show, these new cats, at least at this point, don't seem to bring anything new and vital to the table. Then Lion-O points his sword at them and makes them ThunderCats is also just as silly. I'm guessing many of Season 2's stories will involve the new members and that's really a shame to the not Lion-O cats, such as the kittens and Cheetara, who could use more development.

Overall, perhaps my opinion will mellow with time, but right now, I feel like I've watched a quality show suddenly try to cash in. I'd rate ThunderCats - Ho! a mere 4/10. I never felt insulted as a viewer, but I did feel like I was watching a toy commercial for the first time since I started watching this series.
Pravus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote