TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums
Community Rules Today's Posts Search

View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #74
Pravus Prime
Ancient Spirit of Evil
What to say about Season 3? It was on the whole, excellent. That the last two episodes served as a departure point gets even more credit and sets it head and shoulders above other 80's kids cartoons.

This seasson did nothing to improve my opinion of the Lunataks (save Chilla) and if they are gone for good, then good riddance. They worked as short term villains only. Also re-enforced was my opinion that Pumyra and Ben-Gali brings little to the table, given that they had such minimal parts over the course of the entire season to the point where they may as well not exist. Lynx-O has managed to find a solid place among the cast and works most of the time and even when he doesn't, is at least not another scenery chewing character.

My biggest complaints are that I'm not a big fan of the Thundera reformed plotline(s) and the Ancient Spirits of Evil actually being characters, so to say. While I don't have any problems with the idea of having a New Thundera, it really goes against the grain of the first season and one of the core ideas of the series. To simply abandon that just feels wrong. The Ancient Spirits of Evil work as a mantra, as an idea; a focusing tool of Mumm-Ra to channel his powers. To make them actual characters is silly, and to make them terrible bosses is worse. It's not like Mumm-Ra is Skeletor; he has something like a 25-11 record in single combat against Lion-O thus far in the series and freaking killed Lion-O in The Thunderscope (and pretty close to a 100% win rate against anyone who isn't Lion-O). Plus he's lost empowered by the spirits, so it's not like they should be able to do any better. Also it ruins the idea that he is the everliving embodyment and source of evil (which are claims directly made by Mumm-Ra in the series) when he has employers.

That said, that they developed Cheetara and the kittens is fantastic, along with several other elements that they pushed forward. There was that humerous payoff in The Last Day with Snarf presenting the Treasure of Thundera that had been recovered that really felt like a solid payoff for all these episodes dealing with this fetch questy plotline.

Also as an overall, the animation generally seemed to be better. This is also a good a place as any to mention it, but this series does a lot of neat stuff with non-essential animation. From Slithe using his tail to steal cards when the mutants were playing cards, Mumm-Ra's Everliving form having wrists a little too large for the Bracelet of Power, etc. There are a lot of little touches that they did that I liked. Additionally Mumm-Ra's pyramid on Thundera has a different design then the one on Third Earth, so I give them props for that.

I probably don't need to do this, but, some favorite episodes:
  • The Thunderscope
  • The Last Day
  • Bracelet of Power
  • Locket of Lies
  • The Telepathy Beam

Onto the final season!

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 12-08-2011 at 07:53 PM..
Pravus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote