Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums
Community Rules Today's Posts Search

View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 03:22 AM   #187
KaleRylan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sining View Post
To be fair, I didn't mind season 1. It's season 2 that really annoys me. It's filled with too many inconsistencies and situations where you can tell the writer wants a certain thing to happen but has NO idea how to make it happen so he handwaves it into happening. The fight scenes are very indicative of this.

Plus, what did the trials of Lion-O really teach him?
1. Trust your instincts; how is this different from trusting what the book of omens told him? Does it somehow make it better if his instincts told him to go up instead of the BOO telling him to?
2. Cheat AKA Go for the shortcut; I have nothing against taking things easy but I'm not really sure what the message here is since they keep mentioning he likes to do things the hard way. I'm sure the actual message should be 'keep your eyes on the goal and look at different angles to win as much as possible' but it really came off as 'learn to take it easy' which isn't really something I think a King should be taking as a trial.
3. Abuse your power as king; to be fair, didn't a lot of people complain he was doing that? And didn't he order them to follow him in ep15 and there was still a lot of complaining? Didn't he basically say 'no, we're not surrendering' in episode 14 and yet people still surrendered? I'm not sure how this trial even helped.
4. Recognise your own fears; This was pretty much the only trial that I thought felt like an actual trial. He wasn't trying to beat Tygra so much as he was trying to get over his own feelings of inadequacy. None of the other trials had this.
I agree completely. About the season and the trials

1. Yeah, what is the lesson here? It should have been more of a 'look before you leap' lesson if they were trying to show what he did wrong at the beginning of the episode. Not trusting anything blindly, but investigating first.

2. I much preferred the Cheetara trial from the OS, since that one taught him about determination in the face of impossible odds whereas this one taught him... what exactly? Maybe 'keep your options open?' but they didn't elaborate on it well.

3. THIS. This trial annoyed me the most. The only way this trial makes any sense is if you take the lesson not as 'give orders' since like you say he does that all the time, but more as 'even if they complain, you make them shut up and do what you tell them.' But that is not what was shown. The problem has never been Lion-o forgetting he was king, the problem was always everyone ELSE acting like he's not the king. And a fair number of his orders are dumb, but if he's the king that should be irrelevant. It's not the subject's job to decide if the king's order is good.

4. Agree with this too. This one at least addressed a serious internal character flaw and growth lesson. The only problem I had with it is it's a flaw they've addressed multiple times and, seeing as how it wasn't solved, will likely address again. I get that this is a major character theme, but they need to be careful not to let it get repetitive.
KaleRylan is offline   Reply With Quote