TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums

View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #56
Wyldkat
Thunder Kitty
Ok, I loved the old Thundercats show as a kid. My first love was (and still is) Masters of the Universe, but when Thundercats came along, it found a place in my heart with its similar style and themes.

That being said, I only wish that when they "rebooted" Masters of the Universe a decade go, I only wish they had had the courage and sense to do it like what was done with the Thundercats relaunch.

The MotU reboot was a marginally more serious than the old Filmation cartoon, but it still clung too closely to its roots to be anything new or exciting. The differences from the original were miniscule at best and as a result, it never managed to really find its own voice.

This was why I was skeptical when the new Thundercats relaunch was announced. I was pretty confident that it was just going to be a slightly reheated version of the original, replete with tiny revisions that wouldn't really make it its own creature. When the first artwork emerged of the new version of Lion-O emerged, I was overjoyed to see that he had in fact been redesigned, (even though I wasn't exactly crazy about the style of it). It gave me hope that maybe different things would be attempted with this incarnation of Thundercats and when the series premiered I was delighted at the fact that they had taken it in a different, darker direction.

That being said, I do agree with the most of the comments here in regards to the consistency of the show. Some episodes are stellar and others are just absolute drek. The back-and-forth characterization doesn't help this (jealous/mature/jealous Lion-O and Tygra, hate him/like him/hate him Pumyra), nor does the equally erratic story structure (strange side-stories that stray from the main storyline for several episodes; light-hearted romps with the Thunderkittens one episode, the origin of Tygra and his horribly cursed people the next) or strange and goofy things that they arbitrarily decide to stick into the story (Panthro's ridiculous Plastic Man arms, the Thundertank turned into a castle-sized monster truck).

While I'd love to see the Thundercats get a chance to get on a more even keel, I know that this is probably curtains for this incarnation of the property, and that makes me more than a little sad.

Last edited by Wyldkat; 06-12-2012 at 02:38 PM..
Wyldkat is offline   Reply With Quote