Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums
Community Rules Today's Posts Search

View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #240
kevster
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Shockwave View Post
I had to laugh at the "Exodus was awesome because it had cool sci-fi/fantasy and swords and sorcery and action and..." post. Seriously, yeah, a 10-year old might enjoy that for a while, but without characters with realistic personalities, it all falls flat on its face after a few episodes. It's why I stopped watching the OS after 25-30 episodes. And there is a reason that even as a kid, I preferred shows like Batman TAS or Gargoyles over shows where the heroes were boring one-dimensional characters like MOTU. If you want such shows - there is plenty to choose from, Filmation produced hundreds of them from the original Space Ghost to Goldar and his Golden Lance.

You just stabbed yourself in the back with this comment. Transformers could be called Mighty Megamorphs and would still be successfull (sadly). Heck, Battleship. Check that movie out. What did it have to do with the game? Nothing. Was still a success.

Compare this with Watchman and 300, which were basically panel-by-panel recreations of the source material with some small parts added/removed. Yeah, the geeks (myself included) loved them. But they did not became blockbusters. Or there is Daredevil. Was incredibly close to the Frank Miller comic - was a huge flop.

And perhaps the best example - Batman Begins and Dark Knight. It re-imagined the classic Batman story and put it into a belieavable real life environment. The Joker was a truly scary anarchist madman who worked with easily affordable materials like knives and gasoline instead of laugh gas and silly gadgets, and Batman himself had realistic weaponry. I know, Batman has had TONS of iterations already, but when you compare the movie to the Tim Burton and Schuhmacher films - a big deviation from the "source". Yet, it was a huge hit.

Sorry, but your argument that sticking to the original equals good ratings, again, does not work. Another example - TMNT, the 2002 show. It threw out cartoonish Shredder, Krang, Beebop and Rocksteady and the pizza nonesense, and went back to the Mirage comic roots and added its own mythology to it (Agent Bishop, superhero Mike) instead of following the old toon. And guess what, it was a huge success that lasted for many years over 5 seasons.

Trying to appeal to reason and being polite with 15-year old trolls (based on their netiquette, that's probably their true age) on the internet... won't work for you, trust me. I learned the hard way.

LOL! That's a great idea. Frankly, I loved the episode with the tiger village, and the second-in-command guy who turned out to be evil did have a goatee... Hmmm...

Whiskers.... NO! Keep japan and their cliche anime writing as far from this show as possible. Imagine Thundercats with a 40-episode season, where in each episode they do the SAME THING over and over again with villains of the week, Mumm-Ra being defeated at the end of every episode, oh and... 3-minute long transformation sequences that are recycled footage.

First of all , You're either a LIAR or have a poor memory.

1) Thundercats debuted in 1984-85 and Batman :TAS debuted in 1990-91.

why does that matter....because the show was subject to absurd FCC regulations that the shows had to have public service announcements or written to portray moral standards because they didn't want animated shows to be commercials for toys. Thus some of the more simplistic elements and "knowing is half the battle" lessons.

Oh yeah and Paul Dini used to write for He-man....

Hows that stuff again about Batman?

2) You're damn right Sci/Fi fantasy elements made the show cool. Why exactly did you have comics and merchandise ( shoes, comics, shirts of T_cats) through the years LONG BEFORE this crap reboot ever hit cartoon network?

3) Your comparisons are flawed---
Daredevil suffered from ( heres something familiar to jelenic) poor writing and less than faithful translations of major characters ( Elektra and Bullseye ) and a unfounded public dislike for Ben Affleck...
Watchmen was rated R-- if you understood movies then you'd know that action movies don't do as well with a R rating because you restrict and essentially halve your audience.

4) Oh You got me on Transformers....its trash as well...maybe its just a well loved, well known 80's cartoon property. ( ....oh wait....)

I mean its not like Spider-man, Captain America , Iron Man, Thor, Batman begins or those other movies were TRYING to be faithful and ended up being successful, HUH? what was I thinking?
and the dominant Properties from that era He-man, T-cats, Transformers and Gi-Joe...two of which are fantasy/sci-fi

You're just arguing for arguments sake with NO real thought of anything of substance.

Last edited by kevster; 06-21-2012 at 12:00 PM..
kevster is offline   Reply With Quote