Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums
Community Rules Today's Posts Search

View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #91
englishw
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimmyCartoonKid View Post
haha. i don't see how its a pipe dram. i'm not saying what people are saying isn't true. but in the end its just hollow plastic, not solid gold. i think you guys are making him out to be diamonds in value. yeah there are idiots who spent $100, but theres plenty of gullible, foolish, people in the world, who do dumb things everyday. doesn't mean they should be given credibility.

3 people on here got them. ~$6from marshalls plus shipping to their house. thats ~$11, not too unreasonable. i'm sure theres some other helpful fans out there with extras as have already been on here. its just a matter of them seeing the call, and deciding to answer generously.

at for Matty Collectors
i've got 2 Merman, $16(shipped) for the original green, $17 for the TRU both Blue & Aquaman 2 pack limiteds. Did i get lucky. Yes. are there a few other characters i want, heck yeah. Am i gonna for out $30 or more, let alone the membership fees and all the other Bullshit. Hell NO! it doesn't say STUPID when i look in the mirror. they don't deserve fans money with their devolving practices. and dont get me started about the preorder Young Justice Miss Martian/Superboy 2 pack, to complete that group. for $50+overpriced S&H (and oh yeah, weren't not making them unless enough of you fork over piles of cash in advance). They're almost as big a crooks as the scalpers.

it's not matter of how big a fan, its a matter of principles. i don't think an $11 tygra is too much to ask. i do appreciate everyones helpful responses/input though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimmyCartoonKid View Post
P.S. my mistake, the amazon one was actually $18.70, which i'm sure you all would still say is a steal. but
honestly if you've got that much expendable money burning holes in your pockets that you feel an urgent responsibility to spend it on $35-$100 Tygras, or Chief Carnivuss, etc. because your afraid you may never see one again. why not donate that 'useless cash' to some reputable endangered tiger or other animal funds, to serve a noble purpose saving the dwindling LIVING creatures these iconic fav characters are based off of, some of which number in less than 1,000 to a even couple hundred. which i'm sure is far less than these 'RARE' figure production counts.
...if someone who spent $100 reads this, i'd think their brain must explode. it aught too, really.

I'm just saying.... when you put it all in perspective, It's beyond absurd.
I was going to leave this alone, but I've been thinking more about it and I can't. As of right now, 4 of your 6 posts on the forum are on this thread asking for a hard to find figure at clearance price. Right now, the Amazon price is $25. Right now, there are no Buy It Now auctions on eBay for under $40 shipped. Do several of us like helping out fellow fans by passing on deals that we find? Certainly. Are we obligated to? No. Some of us paid $73 to get him shipped in a case of 6" figures from BBTS. Some of us also paid $6-8 to get him at a discount retailer. There was a very short window where he was available at discount retailers though. Tygra was never at TRU, Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, or any of the other stores where great multitudes of the other 6" figures where sold. In short, to expect to get a hard to find figure at rock-bottom clearance price from people that you just met is silly. You might find someone that still has an extra somehow that they would be willing to sell at that low cost, but I doubt it. That was months ago and most (all?) of those are gone now... distributed around the forum members. I don't see how you could possibly expect that months after he disappeared from a handful of small discount retailers, having NEVER been in the retail market, you expect to pay less than MSRP for a shipped hard to find figure.

Another thing that bothered me about your posts is your condemnation of the very nature of collecting. Your argument that any money spent over discount/clearance price is "useless cash" that should be donated to a greater cause is absurd. People work, people make money, people spend that money on things that they need and make them happy. Welcome to the world. People buy name brand clothing instead of Costco brand jeans because they look cool. People buy $5 mochas at Starbucks every day. People spend their money how they want to. By your argument, people should take every dime that is not absolutely necessary for their own survival and donate it to a charity of some kind. We should all eat beans and rice for every meal, only own 3 shirts, 1 pair of pants, and wear them until they have holes in them... give up our wasted money on data plans for our cell phones, turn off our cable because $60 a month for entertainment is outrageous when $60 a month could feed a family in Ethiopia for a month... do you see where I'm going with this? Should those of us who are more fortunate than most of the world help the people who are truly destitute? Of course. Does that mean we can't have cable TV, data plans for our phones, or "just hollow plastic" figures that we enjoy? Absolutely not. Who do you think you are that you can tell me what I should or shouldn't spend my money on?

We are collectors. I bought a Bengali figure in 1987 for $5 from Toys R Us. If I had that mint in package today, would you expect me to sell it to you, someone that I've seen 6 posts from, for $5? I use an extreme example to make a point... the collecting world is about supply and demand. This forum is about collectors helping each other out and talking about the hobby that they enjoy. If you are going to insult us or tell us that how we spend our money is stupid, this is not the place for you. You have a misunderstanding about how collectors think and act. I don't mean this as an attack on you, I'm just simply trying to explain collecting to you... as well as this forum.

Like I said before, best of luck to you. You may very well find someone here with an extra figure that is willing to help out a fellow fan trying to fill the void in their collection. Just please, don't expect it... and don't call us absurd because of how we choose to spend our money.
englishw is offline   Reply With Quote