TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums

View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
SPLIT LIP
King of Braves
Week after week this show has kept me hooked. Every episode has been consistently good in writing, and has either advanced the story, developed the backstory, or had a strong enough plot that even as stand-alone is was just as enjoyable as any world-building episode. And there is impressive world-building. They've had a lot to establish since this series departs (for the better, IMO) from the old cartoon. The visual style is great, I've heard complaints it's too anime-y, but I disagree. It's simply stylistic. The designs are excellent, especially Lion-O and Panthro. Evoking the feel of the old show while looking more practical (more so for Lion-O) and fitting to the characters. The characters as they're developed are very enjoyable, especially Lion-O and Tygra. Lion-O is very emotionally driven, which is an unbecoming trait for a king, but yet here he is. This is one of the few shows where the main charatcer is in fact my favourite, and not a supporting charatcer or villain. Likewise Tygra is not a personality you'd always have for a main hero. If this were any other show I'd write him off as future turncoat, but he's not so competetive and self-centered as to be a villain or over the top.

If I had one reservation with this show it's Mumm-Ra. For me he's cool, but he's a missed opporunity of sorts. He could've been such an epic villain, and almost all my misgivings about him are visual. In his decayed form he doesn't look intimidating. I understand this is his weak form, but he just comes across as a mummy in a hood. He should look creepier, darker. The red cloak is a shade or two too bright for my tastes, and seeing his skinny body underneath just reminds me of how silly his actual body is. His cloak should engulf him in shadow Batman-style, the only hint of his actual body underneath being when he stretches out a single, decaying arm. His true form is also kind of off to me, but less so. I adore the ragged, decayed wings, and by-and-large love the design, but for some reason his nose is short and unpturned, and almost always shaded. I understand this is probably to evoke a skull-appearance, but since almost his entire head is covered by a helmet and this is the only "skull" like attribute to his face, he just sorta looks like a bulldog to me. Other than that the only beef I have with this form is that it's also too bright, especially for a creature of darkness. His voice is cool, and the character is alright, but he just doesn't look as impressive for his role as the Thundercats.

But overall the show is fantastic. I've seen the old show and, no offense, found it repulsive. I can't understand how a show as bad as that spawned a show as excellent as the remake. This is going to be the hardest six weeks of the year.

Last edited by SPLIT LIP; 09-20-2011 at 05:12 PM..
SPLIT LIP is offline   Reply With Quote