TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums

View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #46
-sdp
Thunder Kitty
I just finished watching Season 1, my overall thoughts are that this show built an amazing mythology and characters that could be very interesting and full of potential, however for the most part most episodes are pretty bad and have lame plots that do not take advantage of it. The show is definitely watchable but it has aged with time, still counting this came out in the 80s, this show has aged wonderfully compared to all the other shows the 80s had to offer like Transformers/Gi Joe/He-Man etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravus Prime View Post
Least favorite is 18, Spitting Image. Second least favorite is 24, Safari Joe.
Oh god Safari Joe is the worst episode in season 1, definitely agree on that one. Splitting Image wasn't that bad, I mean I won't say I liked very much but I didn't hate it. Plus Splitting Image gave us Driller, I think he's an awesome character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako Crab View Post
You can thank William Overgard for that. The guy was responsible for all the craziest of crazy episodes. There was one TCat site I saw that was doing episode reviews, and they'd always put an Overgard alert icon next to the title if he had written it. He created Evil Chaser Mandora along with all the villains that she chased (including the monster that could only be defeated by soap), Captain Cracker and his crazy pirates, and generally all his episodes revolved around getting Lion-O away from the other cats so he could go play with all these other crazy characters. It was. . . Overgardian.
hahaha, thats so funny, I don't usually take notice on who writes episodes but yeah all those episodes were weird. I did like Mandora and the pickpocket thief though, not his other characters though. The soap monster is hilarious looking back now though. And god Captain Cracker's pirates seemed to have been designed by the toy company, could not take them seriously at all with all their toy action-features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icespark View Post
Thundercats holds up extremely well, and is one of the few series I rank as a masterpiece, along side Beast Wars, Avatar: The Last Airbender, ect.

The animation always ranges from excellent, to decent, and I especially love the amount of effort placed into the writing, and the atmosphere that results from that. Third Earth is a richly built world, lush with back-story, and brimming with mystery.

I also still want the music of the series to be released some day!
Sorry but I can't disagree more with you, haven't re-watched BW but comparing this to Avatar is ludicrous. The animation is only good in the intro, in the actual show its terrible, how can you even praise the animation? the writing is also absolutely terrible for the most part with only a handful of great episodes, and the dialog is ugh. Music is pretty decent though but I wouldn't go as far as to say that its amazing.

I'll definitely give you the atmosphere, that is what the show has going for it. Third Earth is indeed a rich world full of mythology and endless possibilities. The problem with that is that the show never bothers to actually build on that awesome world that the characters live in it and completely ignore any cool backstories that could make this show so awesome. "Oh yeah we opened this new Ice Cream store with 1000 flavors, but you can only choose Vanilla, on some special occasion we allow you to choose strawberry".

Now it seems like I'm bashing the show a lot, but no I've been enjoying it, but it is what it is, a great show for its time but it has aged over time.
-sdp is offline   Reply With Quote