Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums
Community Rules Today's Posts Search

View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #123
Ruthie
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronwynn View Post
Since it seems that many posters on this board are very anti-Cheetara, I am expecting to get a lot of grief over my post. Still, it is my opinion and I thought I would post it anyway.

Here's my take on it. I think the big picture of the episode has to do with the title. 'New Alliances' (unity)- this theme runs throughout the episode in different ways. First Mumm-Ra make his new alliances with Addicus and Kaynar to lead his army. Lion-O still stands by his idea that if the ThunderCats unite with their enemies, that they can defeat Mumm-Ra. Then, Lion-O completely defies his idea of unity by letting his emotions get the better of him and he acted impulsively by attacking the lizards alone.

Cheetara sided with Tygra, but I don't think it is because they are a couple. She knew it was a dangerous move because the lizards weren't willing to unite with the TC and they were still a threat. She has sided with Lion-O over Tygra many times and I think she will take the side of whoever has the opinion that she believes in for that instance. Lion-O was quite immature by reacting that way to her objection to attack. Here is is talking about unity and then he goes and starts a battle that he is outnumbered for and he put himself in danger. After Cheetara and Tygra joined him in the fight, they were still at a disadvantage because Addicus and Kaynar fight dirty and relentlessly for no other satisfaction than shedding blood. Lion-O let his emotions get the best of him.

The lizards were fighting under Mumm-Ra because they were forced into being soldiers. The new generals love war and are motivated to kill. This makes them far more dangerous. Kaynar got Tygra in a position where his life was in danger. The choice was given: surrender or Tygra is dead. Cheetara threw down her staff and tried to buy him some time. Lion-O wanted to keep fighting, even if Tygra's life would have been lost. When she said "I need to stick with him" I think she said that because they were acting like a team, unified and looking out for one another; Lion-O was acting like a rogue without any regard for the unity he so desperately wants. I don't think it had anything to do with them being a couple but rather it was acting unified as a team. She wasn't willing to have a teammate killed over a poor decision not to admit they were defeated. Panthro and his new arms and suped up new ThunderTank saved the day.

I believe that the Lion-O supporters will see Cheetara even more negatively than they already had. She and Tygra had some sweet moments in the beginning. Lion-O tried to wish them well, but told Cheetara that he hadn't meant it and that he was confused and thought their was something between them. She explained that she still does support him and believe in him and that Jaga had asked her to watch over him. She feels that nothing between them has changed except that her heart belongs to someone else. He said that it changes everything and walked away from her. I thought he felt betrayed, but I think she did too. He sees her differently now that he knows they won't be romantically involved? I think she felt just a betrayed as he did.

Lion-O was acting like a spoiled child, plain and simple. He went against the team, broke their unity and nearly got them all killed. He let his emotions get the best of him. A king needs to do better than that. Tygra didn't leave his brother, he stood by him even thought he should never have charged into that dangerous situation. Cheetara and Tygra seem to understand unity, but Lion-O still has some growing up to do. I also think that once Pumyra comes into the mix, he may forget all about the lovely cleric. He was nothing more than an angsty teen in this episode, in my humble opinion.

So, I don't see Cheetara as a seductress or as anything more than a beautiful cleric who was the object of a crush by the new king. He misread her intentions, but she was always doing her job as cleric, protecting him and fighting for their cause. She supported Lion-O on every mission except the one where he wanted to charge a group of lizards that they had already bested and set free, but who rejoined Mumm-Ra's army anyway. To question her loyalty is ridiculous. She has proven it time and time again.

I also believe that if Cheetara had told Tygra to take a hike and had given her heart to Lion-O that many posters would defend her actions and have a completely different opinion of her. I think that many fans wanted a Lion-O/Cheetara ship and, that not being the direction that the show has taken, fans have turned against Cheetara and are comparing her with the enemy. I think that is over the top and I hate that a strong female character is ultimately defined by her ship rather than her own actions.

Just my two sense. I know the backlash is coming.
This. And shame on you for making so much sense.
Ruthie is offline   Reply With Quote