TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums
Community Rules Today's Posts Search

View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Pravus Prime
Ancient Spirit of Evil
Like most kids of the '80's, I'm sure I'd seen my fair share of Thundercats episodes, but over the years I only remember about 3 episodes. With all the news about the Thundercats relaunch as well as finishing up an older cartoon series I was watching and deciding to bump Transformers: Headmasters from one a day to once a week (ugh!), I started watching, or re-watching the original Thundercats.

When I rewatch a cartoon from my youth, it generally goes into either I'm embarassed to have been a fan of it, or it holds up rather well. All too often a show will go into the former category, but I'm quite surprised to say that Thundercats does not. I'm shocked at the quality of this show all these years later. Sure it's got it's cornyness, simplistic plots, or inconsistant storytelling (Lion-O can call the Sword of Omens to him, why does he chase after it desperately in other episodes?), but that doesn't really detract from my enjoyment as I rewatch this series. The 80's-ness of the series actually adds to my enjoyment, especially the rock music.

I also rather like how we're plopped into a universe that has a major past. You could tell entire series about what came before the fall of Thundera and what happened to first and second Earth. Instead we're given that as a backstory to move forward.

There's a lot of the characterization that I like as well. From Jaga not always being correct, to Mumm-Ra's snarkyness with the mutants. Speaking of which, I'm pleased to see that Mumm-Ra is used sparingly, only about 4 appearances in the first 16 episodes (That's as far as I am), which means he doesn't suffer from the villain decay (yet?) that other cartoon villains were all too prone to suffer from.

I also think I'm starting to crush on Cheetara all over again.

I don't think I want to do a watch and review (Unless there's people that would like that), but I do intend to update this thread as I finish sections of the series. I hate to say this, but no spoilers, please. I remember about 3 episodes and after 16 episodes, I've already hit 2 of them!
Pravus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote