Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums

Thread: Tower of Omens
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
Lord Lion O
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevy Maximus View Post
I think the Tower of Omens is personification of a big issue collectors don't seem to consider. It's not the 80s anymore, and playsets just don't sell like they used to.

On the one hand, yes, it is a sucktacular playset and clearly looks "hacked down" from something much more elaborate.

On the other hand, adding more more to the offering would have pushed the price well beyond the $40 pricepoint that retailers are going to offer this thing. And Thundercats does NOT have the proven sales history of Transformers, Star WArs, or even fricken' Ninja Turtles to try and push an over $50 playset at retail.

As is, the STar Trek Bridge playset from the last movie line also retailed for $40, and all you got was one electronic screen, a mat (cardboard?) and a handful of consoles. And you still had to buy another $100 of fucking figures to "complete" the thing (and all the figures weren't even released to mainstream retail!)

So, no, I will not be purchasing the "playset" and I question Bandai's decision to market that piece of crap alongside better value propositions like the Thundertank and deluxe figures.
You must not have the thunder tank...it's not much better, trust me. I just think this is where we r with toys folks...I have a 8 year old son and just about everything out there is cheap and flimsy. I think they are just trying to get some product out there to use with the figures at a low cost until they can establish themselves in the market. I hope there is better things to come...but things like we had as kids....gone. Happy to have anything cats even if it's not on par with a more established franchise. Not a lot of playsets out there either so it's not horrible.
Lord Lion O is offline   Reply With Quote