Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums
Community Rules Today's Posts Search

View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #38
AlexofThundera
Talk Hard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintcondition View Post
When Toonami aired it, all it really was was a way to fill up time. All it did, at the most, was remind people that the show existed.
I don't remember for sure the circumstances surrounding the decision to use Thundercats / Voltron for the debut of Toonami, however I know / remember it was heavily advertised / pushed. Then it went off the air for a while which subsequently led to a petition being created to bring the show back on CN, which worked. It was a pretty big deal back then.

And sure, it definitely reminded people like me who hadn't seen the show since my youth of just how awesome the OS was / is, but the show surely procured new fans during its airing on Toonami who had never seen it before.

Quote:
Thundercats hasn't been relevant since the 80's. It didn't keep it relevant, it didn't bring anything back.
Here is where I have to respectfully disagree. Now I obviously don't mean relevant as in Star Wars or Star Trek relevant, but the show definitely didn't go the way of Teddy Ruxpin or The Snorks. A lot of people remembered it and were happy to see it back on Toonami.

I've been online since about 1994. At that time there was almost nothing on the internet with regards to Thundercats. In 95 or so there were the first few rumblings / sites, and then in 97, the year it came back on Toonami was when people really started talking about it (I'm sure a few were inspired by having been "reacquainted" with the show), and suddenly it seemed like everyone wanted to start collecting Thundercats (myself included). And from there it just kept on going / growing.

Would it have happened regardless of the show coming back on Toonami? Sure. But maybe not as quickly, who knows? That really is something that would be stupid to debate but I think the show airing on Toonami did a lot of good for the franchise.

Quote:
I think you're looking at it through some very thick nostalgia glasses.
Perhaps.
AlexofThundera is offline   Reply With Quote