Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums
Community Rules Today's Posts Search

View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #1095
ThundeRSS
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
Originally posted by: Tony_Bacala @ Toyark.com

Quote:
While not directly related to toys - this one has some cross over appeal with collectors and fans of the 80s alike (which many of us are). Sneaker collectors (yes, there are collectors and connoisseurs of Sneakers just like toys) have been hoping and dreaming for Nike to make a real life, working and wearable version of the Nike Air Mag - aka - the sneaker Marty McFly wore in "the future" during Back to the Future 2. That future was the year 2015.

The sneaker featured a light up Nike Logo, and self lacing laces. The original was rigged up for the couple scenes in the movie using mechanical and electrical lines that ran off screen. Recently, Nike has filed a patent for that technology with the US Trademark office. Now it seems, Nike has got the technology working, and is going to actually produce the shoe in some form or fashion.

Via Nice Kicks, we learn that Nike sent out press event invitations yesterday, which consisted of a box full of retro 80's candy, a copy of Back to the Future, and an iPod shuffle with a special message from Doc Brown, inviting them to the event. Inside was also a replica of Doc Brown's "future" glasses seen in the movie. Inside the rim of the glasses was the tag line "It's About Time" - the theme for the event.

The "It's About Time" event is TONIGHT around 8 PM Pacific in LA.

After this, there was then a video posted on YouTube - which I think speaks for itself...

To top all this off - Michael J. Fox will be making an appearance on David Letterman tonight with a special announcement.

As someone who is a very low level Sneakerhead (spectator mostly), and a child of the 80s - I am SUPER excited for this. I just hope it's not some BS hype with a limited run that makes the shoes 5 grand on eBay the next day.

GIVE ME MY MAGS NIKE!

We will update when the official word drops later tonight.... [Read More]
Original Source: Nike Air Mag - Shoe From Back to the Future - Is Being Made - Toyark.com - Action Figures and Toys
ThundeRSS is offline   Reply With Quote