TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Toys and Merchandise

Old 07-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Looking at the new Thundercats toy line, I've decided that, outside of the Classic figures, I'm going to try and stick to just one scale (as best I can anyways). As a collector, the 6" line should appeal to me. What with it's increased detail and articulation. However, the 4" scaled figures are probably what I'll stick to. Anyways, here's a pro's/con's list I've made.

4" sale:
Pro's-
-Thunder-Lynx gimmick
-functionality with playsets and vehicles
-cheaper
-more likely to contain more characters

Con's-
-less detail
-less articulation

6" sale:
Pro's-
-more detail
-more articulation
-made with collectors in-mind

Con's-
-pricier
-not as likely to have as many character options

While I'm already mostly decided on going with the 4" scaled figures, I figured this would make for an interesting discussion.
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
xander88
Thunder Kitty
I think you should go with the 4" because you'll be able to have the sort of fun with those as you probably did with LJN because you've got the vehicles and playsets to go with them. They probably won't seem as delicate as highly articulated figures. In terms of getting figures that look awesome and have lots of articulation and detail you need look no further than the 8" classics which look a hundred times better than the 6" line
xander88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander88 View Post
I think you should go with the 4" because you'll be able to have the sort of fun with those as you probably did with LJN because you've got the vehicles and playsets to go with them. They probably won't seem as delicate as highly articulated figures. In terms of getting figures that look awesome and have lots of articulation and detail you need look no further than the 8" classics which look a hundred times better than the 6" line
Yeah, the 4" line should be quite fun. The magnet gimmick looks quite nice, and seems unobtrusive to the figures themselves. While the 6" line's articulation seems like it might actually be a negative (going off of LiarDice Films comment-"The most annoying thing is the multiful points of articulation"). There's also something about the way the 6" Panthro looks that's off-putting to me. As for the 8" Classic line, it's been on my to-get list since day one, lol.

While I don't think I'll get the Tower of Omens playset, I'll probably get a couple of the vehicles. Most especially the Thundertank and possibly the Thundercycles.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
crackus
Thunder Puss
I'd probably go with the 4" as well.. I think it goes well with my gijoe, MU collections and some dc universe...
crackus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
While it's not a factor for me, as I don't really collect many other lines (I've got a couple Marvel Universe figures, but not much), but that's definitely a point in favor for the 4" scaled figures.

Also, I just realized, I should have put a poll in the thread when I made it, lol.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
Joe Moore
Administrator
I'm personally more of a fan of the 6" line. Don't collect any 3.75" figures, so that's not a factor for me. I simply like the look of the larger figures more. Plus Thundercats have always been a line of larger scale figures, so I like that fans of that have an option.
Joe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
I've never really been all that big into 4" scaled figures either, but I'm starting to get used to them. While I don't plan on collecting the 6" figures, there's at least one character I don't think I'd be able to pass-up, and that's Claudus. There's something about his design that I really like, so I'll probably get every version of him I can (which probably won't be that many).
Old 07-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
Balgus82
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
I've more of the type to get larger figures. I hate small figures. It's one reason I never bought Star Wars figures. Too small! Even if I did get the Thundercats in 4" I'd have to get the 6" Mumm-Ra. I really don't like the holes in the chest of his 4" figure.

The only downside to the 6" line, to me, is that there aren't as many characters on that one so far. It's just Lion-O, Panthro, and Mumm-Ra. Hopefully they'll add more in later releases.

Last edited by Balgus82; 07-19-2011 at 05:24 PM..
Balgus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #9
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
The holes in the 4" Deluxe Mumm-Ra is definitely a downside to it, but personally I like the wing gimmick enough that I'm fine with the holes. It's one of the gimmicks that I'm still not sure how it works. Another one is Grune's club thing.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #10
nitewing73
Thunderian Commoner
I'd say go with the 4 inch scale for toys for the new cartoon. That's the way I think I'm going to go and then get the Classics figures for the original toon.
nitewing73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:31 AM   #11
dolza_khyron
Thunder Kitty
i'll be going mostly with the 4 inch, but some characters, i've been considering buying the 6 inch versions instead, for example, I think I'll buy the 6 inch mumm-ra instead. He was always a much bigger character in that form!

although, I'll probably just buy them all... lol!
dolza_khyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #12
daroga
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolza_khyron View Post
i'll be going mostly with the 4 inch, but some characters, i've been considering buying the 6 inch versions instead, for example, I think I'll buy the 6 inch mumm-ra instead. He was always a much bigger character in that form!
I was just thinking the same thing, only kind of opposite. Considering getting the 4" mummy Mumm-Ra, but I'm not sure. I think the scale would still be weird. Although it's probably about the same scale as the original figures were with the Mail-Away Mumm-Ra.... hmm...
daroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #13
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Personally, even if I were to go with the 6" scaled figures, I would still get the 4" mummy Mumm-Ra figure. Would be nice to see what they could do with him at a larger scale, but I'm not so sure they'll do it. Guess it all depends on who all they plan on making. I know Claudus is one character I'd be willing to buy at multiple scales.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #14
dolza_khyron
Thunder Kitty
i'd consider buying larger panthro instead of the 4 inch, but i doubt he will fit in the thunder tank!
dolza_khyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
The 6" Lion-O is nice because he's got both versions of the claw shield, and the one that he wears replaces his hand, but other than that he doesn't really interest me. The claw shield on the 4" Lion-O just slipping over his hand is the only downside to the figure, imho, and even then it's the same way the original did it (which oddly enough helps it's case for me, lol).
Old 08-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #16
Ben_Gali
Thunder Kitty
I going with whichever line I can find.
Ben_Gali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #17
Shifty02
Thunder Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Gali View Post
I going with whichever line I can find.
LOL! True that!!

I think I'm going to stick to the 6" line. That's what most of the figures are in my collection (MOTU & DCUC) and even though I don't display everyone together, it'd be nice to know that I can.

Although that Thundertank does look rather cool.

I also like the idea that someone came up with to still get the 4" Mumm-Ra mummy figure even if you're sticking to the 6" scale. The scale variation there just might work because the mummy form was always smaller than the ever living form. At least in the original cartoon.
Shifty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #18
Ickzer1
Thunder Kitty
4 inchers for me. I need vehicle and playset compatability.
Ickzer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #19
KennY
The Everliving
Definitely the 6 inch. I'm disappointed that the 4 inch figures are lacking so much articulation and detail (not to say the 6 inch are that much better in the detail dept). I will be getting 1 of each (4 inch), but for customizing. I'm going to integrate those parts with G.I. Joe parts for better articulated figures.
KennY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #20
Hyper Jaguar
Thunder Kitty
Also keep in mind that, depending on the success of the show, we will get a second wave probably sometime next year. So hopefully, we will see 6" versions of Tygra and Cheetara, and more 4" figures.
Hyper Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #21
soundwave810
Thunder Kitty
I'm gonna have to go with the 4" line. I've ALWAYS like the smaller sized figures because Growing up in the 80's I got used to them and you could carry around more with you. Plus they're compatible with just about every other toyline (Star Wars, Marvel Universe, etc. )i collect today.
soundwave810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #22
Icespark
Thunder Kitty
After seeing the new cartoon, I've decided to try and collect them. I'm basically planning to go for which ever size line that releases the most characters, or at least, has the best chance of getting other characters later on, like Ben-Gali or Pumyra for example.

I guess this means that I'll be going in for the four-inch line, though finances depending, I might pick up a few of my favorite characters from the 6-inch line.
Icespark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:08 AM   #23
Steevy Maximus
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennY View Post
Definitely the 6 inch. I'm disappointed that the 4 inch figures are lacking so much articulation and detail (not to say the 6 inch are that much better in the detail dept). I will be getting 1 of each (4 inch), but for customizing. I'm going to integrate those parts with G.I. Joe parts for better articulated figures.
To be fair, that is more a result of trying to emulate a stylized 2d representation. As is, the 4" line is still more articulated than any sub-6" figure from Mattel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Jaguar View Post
Also keep in mind that, depending on the success of the show, we will get a second wave probably sometime next year. So hopefully, we will see 6" versions of Tygra and Cheetara, and more 4" figures.
Going by prior lines from Bandai, assuming the 6" stuff sells, you should see a new assortment next "spring" (ie, after Christmas). But whether you see them at retail will ultimately depend on sales. As I've said in other threads, I really don't expect to see much beyond 2 or 3 waves at best from the larger figures. Bandai has made it quite clear 4" and Roleplay are the key areas for this line, and the Classics and 6" figures will be the first things to get axed unless the line is a whole sale flop.
Steevy Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:31 AM   #24
GK Punk
Your Straight Edge Savior
After seeing them in person, I really didn't like the 6inch figures. Especially for the price point. Almost 20 bucks (At Toys R Us anyway) for a figure that looked like a 10 dollar figure at best is a little ridiculous. I did like what I saw of the 4inch for the most part though.
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:44 AM   #25
Wilyjo
Thunder Kitty
I'm a 6 inch guy. I kinda hate seeing a lot of new toylines ONLY having the 3-4 inch scale, because they don't appeal to me. I grew up with five and six inch figures and having the smaller ones just doesn't usually do it for me.

At the same time though I wouldn't mind having the team in both scales, because the 4 inch line doesn't bother me as much for Thundercats. I know I'm picking up the kids as soon as I can from there.

I don't think the 6 inch line should be more than $16 at MOST though. It has great articulation but I don't think 20 dollars for each of them is worth it necessarily.
Wilyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #26
Lion O of savannah
TruthJusticeHonorLoyalty
I had and still have all of mumras henchmen from the original show, I hope we get to see them in the cartoon and the figures. I wouldn't mind them making a classic 8 inch panthro. Panthro was a one man army and will always remain one of my favorites
Lion O of savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #27
Nekomen
Licking Purrfection
4'' for me. I only have Lion-O now, but the range of motion is pretty decent. I'd say they are about on par to GI Joe, if albeit in a different way.
They are about that height too. If they had a more matte finish instead of the shine they have, they'd be perfect.
Nekomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #28
Vangelus
Thunder Kitty
I only really want to collect the 6" guys, but I suspect I will have to go 4" if I want to pursue non-leading characters.
Vangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:15 AM   #29
77kustoms
Kustom Kreator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Jaguar View Post
I really hope the 6" line continues. I would like to see the rest of the main cast mabey a henchmen or two. I think it has been a pretty big fail already since there is no marketing behind both lines. It should have started mid july. The other problem is that most retailers haven't ordered any or even know they have them. My sister in law is ass't. Manager at a kmart and the toy section is beyond disarray. I asked her if they had them, she said she saw 2 boxes in the back that came in last month ( she supports my collecting and generally keeps an eye out for me) 1 box was thundertanks the other was the 6" line. She said they were supposed to have these out already with a display but this was all that came in. Distrabution is horrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenxl7 View Post
Personally, even if I were to go with the 6" scaled figures, I would still get the 4" mummy Mumm-Ra figure. Would be nice to see what they could do with him at a larger scale, but I'm not so sure they'll do it. Guess it all depends on who all they plan on making. I know Claudus is one character I'd be willing to buy at multiple scales.
I will get 4" mummy ra as he would look pretty cool dwarved by the ever living. I plan on building a tomb for them so I can't wait for it actually. I may pick up mostly henchmen and wilykit and Kat as I think they will be represented better wit th 6" line. I only wish they had ball jointed the fingers on liono's gauntlet.

The moral of the story is I like the 6" line. I could do without the screw holes everywhere on the backsides and the soft plastic but these are really good figs. For $14.99 at kmart im good.

Last edited by 77kustoms; 08-09-2011 at 07:19 AM..
77kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #30
rodster6
Thunder Kitty
I'm going to collect the 6'' figures. More in scale with the originals and MOTUC. 4'' is just to small for me.
rodster6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #31
JohnnyAngel77
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by GK Punk View Post
After seeing them in person, I really didn't like the 6inch figures. Especially for the price point. Almost 20 bucks (At Toys R Us anyway) for a figure that looked like a 10 dollar figure at best is a little ridiculous. I did like what I saw of the 4inch for the most part though.
I got them for $15 each on Amazon w/free shipping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodster6 View Post
I'm going to collect the 6'' figures. More in scale with the originals and MOTUC. 4'' is just to small for me.
Exactly.

I've opened all 3 6" figures and though they have a few flaws, I really dig them.
JohnnyAngel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #32
dj7000
Thunder Kitty
Im not keen on the faces of the 4inch line particularly tygra and cheetara, but with the 4inch you pay less and get more figures. the articulation is pretty decent too. The 6inch looked good but not $15 dollars good. 9.99? I might bite. for now I'll stick with 4inch
dj7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #33
squawkbot
Thunder Kitty
Thundertank fits the 4", plus like most have said, I see more variety than in the 6".

that and they can battle gijoes
squawkbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #34
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
It's weird, and I feel kind of bad saying this, but I'm leaning more and more towards the 6" figures. Only major thing holding me back right now is the slim selection of characters, and the uncertainty of how many more will be made at the scale. If all of the main characters were guaranteed a figure, it would be a bit easier to decide. Also doesn't help that Mumm-Ra is way out of scale with the others. Lion-O should only reach up to about Mumm-Ra's waist.

Ultimately, I'll wait to see them in-stores before making a decision. Not seeing any hint of them in any nearby store has only been making me more antsy and indecisive, lol.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #35
JohnnyAngel77
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj7000 View Post
Im not keen on the faces of the 4inch line particularly tygra and cheetara, but with the 4inch you pay less and get more figures. the articulation is pretty decent too. The 6inch looked good but not $15 dollars good. 9.99? I might bite. for now I'll stick with 4inch
But you have to accept that 6" figures do not sell for $10 anymore, regardless. Joes, Marvel Universe, Star Wars, etc all go for anywhere from $6.99-$10.99 depending on where you go. Its just silly to expect that, imo.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:13 AM   #36
Star Saber
Thunder Kitty
So much for streamlining, but I'll probably get some 6" figures for this one. Lion-O definitely, both classic and the new one
Star Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:38 AM   #37
dj7000
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAngel77 View Post
But you have to accept that 6" figures do not sell for $10 anymore, regardless. Joes, Marvel Universe, Star Wars, etc all go for anywhere from $6.99-$10.99 depending on where you go. Its just silly to expect that, imo.
Actually, I don't have to accept that when I see WWE figures selling for 9.99, granted they are basics, but they are still six inch figures. Star wars joe marves are at that price point are mostly 4ich. I dont have a problem with that price point and think Bandai gives us a nice offering for that amount. Im still not settled on paying $15 for something that looks just as good and is just a s functinal as it's $8 less counterpart. I expect a little more with that much of a price increase.
dj7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #38
JohnnyAngel77
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj7000 View Post
Actually, I don't have to accept that when I see WWE figures selling for 9.99, granted they are basics, but they are still six inch figures.
If WWE figures are the focal point of your argument, then I cannot help you.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #39
Mintcondition
Thunder Kitty
I'm such a huge Thundercats fan I'm buying EVERYTHING, and I do mean that.

Obviously I wanted the 8 inch figures the most since they are the Classics and I hope to see at least the other 2 Thundercats and Mumm-Ra (at least...I do hope for more though).

I bought all three 6 inch figures since I love the redesigns and 6 inch is my preferred scale to collect in. And the figures themselves are really awesome, especially Mumm-Ra!

And I got all the basic 4 inch figures except for Wily Kit and Kat (couldn't find Wily Kit so I left Kat there until I find them both), and I got the Deluxe 4 inch Grune.

And I got the Thundertank! It's so awesome. The 4 inch figures are cool because of how much fun they are. And it's the only line right now that lets you get all the main characters at one time. I will be getting the twins, and the deluxe 4 inch Mumm-Ra, as well as the Thunderracers and the Lizard Cannon, I just couldn't afford any more right now lol.
Mintcondition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #40
Shifty02
Thunder Cat
Oddly enough it looks like the 6" Mumm-Ra is actually in scale, for the most part, with the 4" figures.
Shifty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #41
Lion-O*
Thunder Kitty
I wonder when we'll get to see pics of the next waves of toys...Toyfair in February?
Lion-O* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #42
JohnnyAngel77
Thunder Kitty
Rawr.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #43
EverLiving
Thunder Kitty
I knew I'd get the 4" because that seemed to have the most variety. Seeing pics of the 6" never really excited me, but as soon as I saw them on the shelf I grabbed a Lion-O and Mumm-Ra. I like how you get both claws and swords with Lion-O and how Mumm-Ra could work with the 4" line, but beyond that, I'm not interested in paying $17 for more of these.
EverLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #44
Dr Kain
Thunderian Commoner
I personally think the 6inch Lion-O is lacking details and expression in the face compared to the 4inch one.

However, my biggest thing is that I doubt we will ever see Cheetara (or any female) in the 6inch line. Bandai has never been a company to support female characters. Hell, they just released the older Gwen figure in the Ben 10 line 3 years after the show came out with her like that. Not to mention Bandai usually only releases female rangers for Power Rangers usually for the first batch to get all of the starting rangers out and then they never bring out new versions of the females afterwards.
Dr Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #45
Jay Bell
Must NOM NOM diamonds!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
However, my biggest thing is that I doubt we will ever see Cheetara (or any female) in the 6inch line.
I've had the same worry, but the recent interview mentioned a 6 inch Wilykit and Wilykat, so there's one female. Bandai seems to be doing a lot of things different for this line, so I'm hopeful.
Jay Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #46
LionO5289
Thunder Kitty
4 inch all the way. I haven't actually seen any 6 inch figures in hand but going by the pics I've seen on the internet Mum-Ra may be the only figure in that scale I'll get.
LionO5289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #47
Dr Kain
Thunderian Commoner
Well I had a change of heart. After getting all of the cats in the 4inch scale and getting annoyed at the lack of waist articulation and Cheetara's hair, I picked up the 6inch Lion-O and I love him. He has so much articulation that the lack of detail (which I also then discovered is because of the glossy paint they used -_-) is not as important. I hope they release everyone else in the 6inch scale, but again, this is Bandai, which leaves me questionable.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #48
Childsmonkey
Thunder Monkey
I enjoy the 4 inch scale most. I like that my Thundercats will fit into other 4 inch line vehicles.
Childsmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #49
Autotrooper
Banned
6 inch figures all the way.

PROS
-Better detail and accuracy to the show.
-More articulation.
-More accessories.
-We know a 6 inch two-pack of of Wilykit and Wilykat is coming, so a Cheetara and Panthro are quite possible.
-I don't mind Mumm-ra only being a little bit taller.

Cons
-Still not that much better in the paint department.
-More expensive (22 dollars here).
-Probably less of a selection.
Autotrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #50
Dr Kain
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childsmonkey View Post
I enjoy the 4 inch scale most. I like that my Thundercats will fit into other 4 inch line vehicles.
I can care less about vehicles. GI Joe taught me having vehicles is pointless.