TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Toys and Merchandise

Old 08-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
Weapon XIX
Thunder Kitty
Here are some thoughts on the new 4" Thundercats.

The good:
The articulation on Lion-O, Tygra and Panthro is better than expected. While a lack of bicep joint or rotating elbow hurts potential poses (ie Lion-O holding the sword in 2 hands) the ankle joints, calf swivel (not on Lion-O for some reason), and thigh swivels are more than I expected, especially considering Bandai America's articulation track record. The range of motion is also good on these 3.

Scale is great, Lion-O is the shortest of the big cats, then Cheetarah, Tygra, and then Panthro - who is bulky and huge and awesome.

The accessories are pretty cool too. Panthro's chucks are cool and have swivels to allow more movement. I would have preferred actual chains and may replace them, but they're better than expected. I also like that we got a second holstered set. And Lion-O's swords and gauntlet are great. The plastic is a little flimsy, but they're still pretty awesome. Tygra's gun is nice though his belt holster is huge. The kittens have heart little accessories but i would have liked it if Wilykit came with her ocarina.

The bad:
Cheetarah and the Kittens' articulation is less than desirable. The kittens have 3 poa - neck and shoulders. I realize they're smaller but ifnyou look at recent Jawas and even Jazwares' Sonic figures put the kittens to shame. But I just couldn't sits the urge to get all the cats and couldn't put them down.

Also, I understand the idea of giving them each big transforming skateboards to make up for their lack of size and articulation, but I w oils have preferred to skip the boards and just package the two of them together, like when Toy Biz put Merry and Pippin in one Two Towers figure box in a later wave. Then they could have fit another Lion-O in the case

Cheetarah...her articulation is problematic. She's got biceps swivels, but no wrist cuts like the other big cats so 2 handed staff poses are awkward. Her hair and the thunderlynx system prevent her from moving her head at all. She's got v-hips. They try to make up for it by giving each leg 2 thigh swivels each. It helps, but I don't see why the couldn't have gone with the ball hips or even something similar the Power Rangers' females of late. So she's got 6 poa in her legs above the knee. Below she's got none. No ankles though the other big cats got 'em, so no running poses. She's got a lot of poa but not where it counts.

So while they're far from perfect, they're still pretty good for the price. If you're not attached to the kittens as I'd skip they're figures, but I couldn't pass them up. The male cats are very cool and much better than expected, but Cheetarah leaves a lot to be desired.

Quick poa count:
Lion-O
16 poa = Neck, waist, shoulders, elbows, forearms, hips, thighs, knees, ankles

Tygra, Panthro
17 poa = Neck, shoulders, elbows, forearms, hips, thighs, knees, calves, ankles

Cheetarah
14 poa (15 if you count the cut neck despite the fact that it can't move) = Unusable neck joint, shoulders, biceps, elbows, v-hips, thighs x2, knees

Wilykit, Wilykat
3 poa = neck, shoulders

Onto 6" Mumm-ra
This guy is awesome. He's more articulated the 4" cats and he's appropriately scaled to them. He comes with two sets of hands, one open and one for clutching his Sword of Plundarr. The sword is massive and can be taken apart, but unfortunately it creates one sword and one spare blade as the handle stays as one piece. Also unfortunate is that the spare blade without the handle is the blade with the eye and hilt, so it's more of a generic big sword unless they're connected. He also has the dagger form and the gauntlet. The gauntlet is big and cool looking but the tendrils that come out of it are a little unwieldy.

He's got a ton of articulation: ball jointed neck, limited by sculpt but there is some up and down movement there, ball shoulders, bicep twists, elbow hinge, forearm cut and wrist cut for the interchangeable hands, waist, ball hips, thigh cut, double hinged knees, and double hinged ankles that allow for side to side movement for better balancing. All in all that's 24 poa!

No wings on the big guy, but he's plenty menacing without.

Overall he's a great figure and fits in very nicely with the 4"ers.
Weapon XIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Weapon XIX
Thunder Kitty
Onto the pics:

Lion-O

Old 08-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Weapon XIX
Thunder Kitty
Panthro:

Old 08-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Weapon XIX
Thunder Kitty
Tygra:

Old 08-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Weapon XIX
Thunder Kitty
Cheetarah:

Wilykit and Wilykat:

Old 08-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
Weapon XIX
Thunder Kitty
Mumm-ra:

And group shots:

Last edited by Weapon XIX; 08-18-2011 at 10:45 AM..
Old 08-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
Tracer
Thunderian Commoner
Great pics. Bummed about the articulation on Cheetara and the Wilykids
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon XIX View Post
...i would have liked it if Wilykit came with her ocarina...
She does. That round tube thing is her flute/ocarina.
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
Weapon XIX
Thunder Kitty
Oh, I didn't realize that's what it was. I thought it was some kind of weapon.

Well then, I wish she could hold it like she could play it (gotta complain somehow).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
Great pics. Bummed about the articulation on Cheetara and the Wilykids
Yeah, considering where Bandai has gone in terms of female articulation, Cheetarah seems like a step backwards.

Last edited by Weapon XIX; 08-18-2011 at 02:09 PM..
Old 08-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
masterprime
Thunder Kitty
Awesome pics man I really like the group shot!
masterprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
crackus
Thunder Puss
yeah I agree. the 6" mumm ra definitely fits with the 4" ones..
crackus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #12
soundwave810
Thunder Kitty
Does your Panthros hips NOT move independently from each other or is it just mine?
soundwave810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #13
Hyper Jaguar
Thunder Kitty
You could get the 4" Deluxe Mumm-Ra if you're a completest.
Hyper Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
Weapon XIX
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwave810 View Post
Does your Panthros hips NOT move independently from each other or is it just mine?
This definitely happened to me. I was scared to try to force them in opposite directions for fear that they would break and I'd have to hunt down a new one. But I couldn't stand it so I tried and eventually the pegs came unfused and the hips aren't loose at all and move just fine.

The joint pegs are actually very sturdy so they can take the abuse, but I still wouldn't force them too quickly.

btw I had to type that sentence about a dozen times before I came up with phrasing that wasn't so dirty.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #15
Weapon XIX
Thunder Kitty
Also everyone thanks for the comments about the pics. I'm planning on taking more this weekend to compare them with other 1:18 lines like Star Wars, G.I. Joe, Marvel Universe and others.

And Hyper Jaguar, I'm not a completist but I'm sure when I see deluxe Mumm-ra I will be extremely tempted to pick him up.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #16
soundwave810
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
This definitely happened to me. I was scared to try to force them in opposite directions for fear that they would break and I'd have to hunt down a new one. But I couldn't stand it so I tried and eventually the pegs came unfused and the hips aren't loose at all and move just fine.

The joint pegs are actually very sturdy so they can take the abuse, but I still wouldn't force them too quickly.

btw I had to type that sentence about a dozen times before I came up with phrasing that wasn't so dirty.
Thxs! I think I'll try running it under hot water first. This usually works for me w/ Marvel Universe and Star Wars figures.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #17
soundwave810
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Also everyone thanks for the comments about the pics. I'm planning on taking more this weekend to compare them with other 1:18 lines like Star Wars, G.I. Joe, Marvel Universe and others.

And Hyper Jaguar, I'm not a completist but I'm sure when I see deluxe Mumm-ra I will be extremely tempted to pick him up.
Oh yes please!!

Are you a fan of the 3 3/4"/ 1:18 scale too?
Old 08-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #18
soundwave810
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Thxs! I think I'll try running it under hot water first. This usually works for me w/ Marvel Universe and Star Wars figures.
Cool, I got them to move. I did it in reverse tho, should've put it in the freezer first before under hot water. The joints got SUPER soft and rubbery. Oh well, all's well, that ends well.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #19
Weapon XIX
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Oh yes please!!

Are you a fan of the 3 3/4"/ 1:18 scale too?
Yup. When Marvel moved to Hasbro I made the switch from the 6-7" figures over to 1:18 (or whatever passes for that these days, more often 4" rather than 3 3/4").

I also customize a bunch in this scale. I used to customize a bit in 6-7" scale (mostly Lord of the Rings) but when I made the switch I customize in this scale a ton. So with Bandai's staggered release schedule, as we start seeing more character designs, I'll likely start customizing cats.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #20
Thundera
Thundercat!
Great pix! I was on the fence about the $inch line but I think you may have just knocked me over!! I will have to run to walmart and get all that I can haha!
Thundera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:02 AM   #21
soundwave810
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Yup. When Marvel moved to Hasbro I made the switch from the 6-7" figures over to 1:18 (or whatever passes for that these days, more often 4" rather than 3 3/4").

I also customize a bunch in this scale. I used to customize a bit in 6-7" scale (mostly Lord of the Rings) but when I made the switch I customize in this scale a ton. So with Bandai's staggered release schedule, as we start seeing more character designs, I'll likely start customizing cats.
Cool, can't wait to see what you come up with? Any chance we'll see Lynx-O?
I was so excited when I saw him in the 2(?) episode?

btw, if you're interested I've got a small e-shop that has 1:18 parts.
Not much in there right now but I'm going to add more in the future.

Cassette Man Studios

Check it out!
Old 08-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #22
Hyper Jaguar
Thunder Kitty
The 4" Deluxe Mumm-Ra is good for the 4" Grune, since they are both obviously in scale. I got a 4" Deluxe Mumm-Ra a few days ago, and I love it.
Hyper Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #23
Monkian
Thunder Monkey
Nice review. I agree, the 6" Mumm-Ra looks good with the 4". He should be bigger.
Monkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #24
Lody
The ORIGINAL Thundercat
Quote:

Are they supposed to be independent ot did you make them that way?
Lody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:20 AM   #25
Pravus Prime
Ancient Spirit of Evil
Picked up 6 inch Mumm-Ra to help with the wait for a Classic Mumm-Ra and since I had a one day only coupon from TRU so I got him for a little over $15.

Great figure. Not all that crazy about the bulldog face or some of the wrappings around the head. I also used some clear nail polish to tighten the ankles, they weren't floppy, but they were a bit loose. That said, the rest is awesome. He looks great, solid construction, solid articulation, and lots of accessories, including closed and open hands for both left and right hands. Can't ask for much more then that.
Pravus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:45 AM   #26
Jay Bell
Must NOM NOM diamonds!
Can anyone post a photo of 4" mummy Mumm-ra with 6" Mumm-ra? I doubt we'll ever see the mummy version in deluxe format, so I wonder how well they display together.
Jay Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #27
soundwave810
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bell View Post
Can anyone post a photo of 4" mummy Mumm-ra with 6" Mumm-ra? I doubt we'll ever see the mummy version in deluxe format, so I wonder how well they display together.
Here you go:

Sorry about the lighting. I took it really quick before leaving the house.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #28
Jay Bell
Must NOM NOM diamonds!
Quote:

Sorry about the lighting. I took it really quick before leaving the house.
That's great! Thanks for doing that. Hopefully we'll see Mumm-ra transform in tonight's episode to get some idea of scale.
Jay Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #29
Weapon XIX
Thunder Kitty
Here's a scale comparison shot.

I tried to get a bunch of different lines in here - from Hasbro we've got Marvel Universe, Marvel movies, G.I. Joe Pursuit of Cobra, and Star Wars vintage; there's also Mezco's Hellboy, Jakks' Pirates of the Caribbean, Unimax's Assassin's Creed, and Bandai's Power Rangers. I know it's kinda muddled, but if anyone has any specific scale comparison shot requests let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #30
Metroplex
Thunder Kitty
Ugh - that White Ranger looks great. You lucky son of a gun.
Metroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #31
Wil3yKatastroph3
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Here's a scale comparison shot.

I tried to get a bunch of different lines in here - from Hasbro we've got Marvel Universe, Marvel movies, G.I. Joe Pursuit of Cobra, and Star Wars vintage; there's also Mezco's Hellboy, Jakks' Pirates of the Caribbean, Unimax's Assassin's Creed, and Bandai's Power Rangers. I know it's kinda muddled, but if anyone has any specific scale comparison shot requests let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Where did u get a toy ezio?! i need one of those. also where do u find the new thundercats? i have the old ones from LJN, but i need those new ones
Wil3yKatastroph3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #32
Trukkinmunky
cleric
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil3yKatastroph3 View Post
Where did u get a toy ezio?! i need one of those. also where do u find the new thundercats? i have the old ones from LJN, but i need those new ones
I have seen Ezio at Target and Toys R Us. And the Thundercat toys are being sold at Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, and K-Mart.
Trukkinmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #33
nomad16
Thundarian
I think Im gonna end up pickn up that 6 inch mumm ra
nomad16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #34
menicus
Thunder Kitty
I'm not enjoying the scale all that much. Watching the episodes it seems that Panthro should be a LOT bigger. Yeah, he's bulky, but nowhere near as towering as he should be (should I assume the same for Grune?). Has anyone seen the 6" figures (aside from Mumm-Ra)? Do they suffer from the same scale issues? I'd love to look for myself but I still haven't seen any in Omaha (checked Walmart, Target, KMart and TRU). They also need to make some more non-cat figures... lizards, fish, petalars (just kidding on that one). Something.
menicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #35
vantheman77
Thunder Kitty
The 6-inch Mumm-Ra looks good. I wonder if they have the 4-inch version. I got Lion-O, Cheetara, Panthro, and recently Tygra. I'm definitely completing my Thundercats collection this year.
vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote