TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Toys and Merchandise

Old 02-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
deanofitz
Thunder Kitty
hi guys " i bought liono & tigra 8 inch classics ..but does anyone no if there releasing the rest of the cats & mumraa ect .im delighted with the new thundercats on tv now im reliving my childhood threw my son he loves it ...
deanofitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Joe Moore
Administrator
Moved as this is not "News".

To answer your question...Bandai has shifted focus from 8" Classics to a 6" Classics line. They originally stated that they may do occasional 8" figures, and even hinted that Cheetara may be coming. However, Toy Fair came and went and no new 8" Classics were shown. Unfortunately, I believe there is little to no hope of seeing additional 8" Classics.

Also, welcome to the site.
Joe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
deanofitz
Thunder Kitty
cheers joe "...thats a shame allright personally i think they they did a good job with the 8inch figures apart from the colours of the joints " i supose il keep them for myself ha " and get my son the 6 inch collection
deanofitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
I think the best bet for any continuation of the 8" scaled figures, is convention exclusives (namely SDCC exclusives). However I wouldn't count on even that happening just yet.
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Dr Kain
Thunderian Commoner
This just in, Bandai has decided to cancel the 6inch Classics line and move onto 4 inch ones. Now you have to buy your 80s Lion-O again. :-p

I'm kidding... I hope...
Dr Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
eero
"ero" with an extra "e"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Moore View Post
Unfortunately, I believe there is little to no hope of seeing additional 8" Classics.
Or 6" Classics.
eero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
Kregermeister
RANKINBASS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eero View Post
Or 6" Classics.
truth.
Kregermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by eero View Post
Or 6" Classics.
The six-inchers just started, give it some time. Besides, if Bandai planned things out a bit smarter, they could have been revealed at toy fair, rather than back in November when they prematurely blew their load... (I'm sorry, that's a horrible joke...).
Old 02-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #9
Dr Kain
Thunderian Commoner
OMG, the next figure is the rejected love child who is a cyborg from the future of Cheetara and Lion-O.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
Covenant
Thunder Kitty
Why did Bandai blow their load in November? Clearly they showed the public product which they already had orders from retailers and the product hit the shelves the way it as supposed to, right after Christmas. Toy Fair is a time to debut items that will show up around late summer/early fall. So far this year Bandai has shown nothing new. They are displaying last year's toy line. It is possible that Bandai is holding back because they are having issues with Warner Bros. or Cartoon Network since we haven't seen any TC episodes in months. If that's the case then maybe they will debut the 2012 toys at the San Diego Comic Con. Just because Bandai isn't showing the public any new designs doesn't mean they aren't in the works. I am hoping that once the cartoon comes back on the air that we'll get some news about the toys I just hope that it won't be too late by then.
Covenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
I'm honestly thinking we'll get news before SDCC comes along. Most likely via MTV Geek, like last November's reveals, and probably around the same time the show starts to air new episodes again (the next wave of stuff probably has characters we haven't seen yet). Then again we'll just have to wait and see, but for the time being I'm hopeful it won't be quite that long before we get any news. If we do have to wait till SDCC for looks at the next set...at least it'll make for a good bit of news from SDCC....
Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #12
Covenant
Thunder Kitty
I cannot believe that people will go crazy over a POS like this and yet Bandai couldn't seem to get the Thundercats line to sell. If they had made only Thundercats Classics it would have been a success!

Fearless Photog Masters of the Universe MOTUC action figure - Another Pop Culture Collectible Review by Michael Crawford, Captain Toy
Old 02-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
Joe Moore
Administrator
It's hard to compare a limited collectors (online) only line (and a figure based on a 1980's contest winner) to a mainstream retail store line. Logistics alone dictate that the Thundercats line would outsell the MOTUC line, whose production runs are based on a dwindling subscriber base in the low thousands. But they're budget is dedicated solely to collectors type figures, instead of having to focus on a retail friendly line (which is not Mattel's strong suit).

also, keep in mind, that the fan base for the MOTUC line is growing increasingly annoyed with the constant problems the line has had. Production numbers are going down, they're basically requiring you to subscribe to the club and they are using a very poor distribution company that has caused them a ton of headaches. Not to mention the myriad number of quality control issues. MOTU will always have a loyal number of collectors who will do whatever possible to get these. But the line, as a whole, is not really doing all that great (the same can be said for all MattyCollector lines at this time).

Bandai, in no way, has handled this Thundercats line gracefully. Distribution has been...odd, the sculpts have varied wildly from good to terrible, and the price points are just baffling at times. Not to mention quality control issues that should have never happened.
Joe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #14
Dr Kain
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
I cannot believe that people will go crazy over a POS like this and yet Bandai couldn't seem to get the Thundercats line to sell. If they had made only Thundercats Classics it would have been a success!

Fearless Photog Masters of the Universe MOTUC action figure - Another Pop Culture Collectible Review by Michael Crawford, Captain Toy
Sorry, but as much as I love the original Thundercats, if I had to choose, I would take the new series over the original any day of the week. Designs, story, toys, etc. The new series has done more in its 13 episodes than what the original did in its 130 episode run. Do not get me wrong, like I said, I love the original show, especially its second season, and I love how the show actually had an ending, which was unheard of for an 80s cartoon, but there is just no comparison with the new one. It's like comparing GI Joe to GI Joe Resolute.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #15
Covenant
Thunder Kitty
Well since this was an 8" classics thread I thought I'd opine about the action figures but I too am a big fan of the new Thundercats cartoon. The new Thundercats is still a relatively unknown property although to me it appeared to be a success. I do a lot of competitive sample shopping during the week so I am in a lot of stores and I always check the toy aisles (for Claudus) and other than mummy-form Mumm-Ra there aren't all that many Thundercats on the pegs in northern NJ. I always check on the Sightings Forum and there are barely any new reports. The lack of a cartoon on TV, no television commercials, and terrible distribution has really stifled the Thundercats toy line which otherwise appeared to have some real potential.

A big-ass toy company like Bandai should have had no problem handling the license for both the new cartoon and the old. Mattel seems to be making out just fine with their Masters of the Universe figures. To me they are nothing but repainted, reused molds that have a bunch of crappy mix and match heads but the fans of that cartoon will buy any piece of junk that Mattel puts out whether it's good or not. I was not impressed with Matty's Voltron line either and I passed on it even though I am a huge Voltron fan. I do not like that club B.S.

The Original Thundercats cartoon has legions of (older) fans that are ready to part with their cash for toys and figures of their favorite cartoon. Bandai was promising the release of 2 Classic figures per season so we would have the complete classic team by the end of this year. Now all I have is 8" Lion-O and Tygra bookends and an angry 6" Lion-O by himself. Had Bandai not botched things up we really could have 8" Cheetara and Panthro by now with the Wilytwins on the way.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:34 AM   #16
Haru of the Takaguro Dojo
Thunder Kitty
So am I getting this right?...

The 8 inch classics line is officially canceled?!

We're only getting Tygra and Lion-o??
Haru of the Takaguro Dojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #17
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haru of the Takaguro Dojo View Post
So am I getting this right?...

The 8 inch classics line is officially canceled?!

We're only getting Tygra and Lion-o??
Cancelled? No...not yet anyways. The last official word we got on the line was this:

http://www.thundercats.ws/news/thund...-classics-308/
EXCLUSIVE First Look at 2012 ThunderCats 6 Inch Figures with Interview
Quote:
...the ThunderCats 8" figure line will not be continued in its current form. However we do plan to release the 8” scale in a limited edition capacity in support of those who have been with the line since the first release. Details are still being worked out...
At best I think this could mean TRU exclusives, and I would say at the worst would be the line being canned, even after attempting to continue it through other means. A decent middle ground, and a good possibility imho, would be convention exclusives (like SDCC and NYCC). We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #18
Haru of the Takaguro Dojo
Thunder Kitty
Awww man..

What went wrong?
Haru of the Takaguro Dojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #19
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haru of the Takaguro Dojo View Post
Awww man..

What went wrong?
I imagine they realized that going with such an odd scale wasn't good, and by the sounds of it they didn't sell as well as they were hoping. Makes me wonder why they went with eight inch scaled figures in the first place...I mean...how many action figure lines these days uses that scale?

Hopefully the six inch one's will sell well enough for them to be able to continue them. I'd rather not see another downsize, or worse, a cancellation of Classics all-together...Though I guess if they went down to the four inch scale, it would increase the chances of them making a new toy based on the original thundertank. No matter what happens, I want me a Classic Panthro and Monkian before the line dies...
Old 04-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #20
Cheetara
Thunder Kitty
they really blew it switching from 8 inch to 6. i bought both 8 inchers and was EAGERLY awaiting more. then they said were not making 8 inch anymore. go buy the 6 inch. NOT a good thing to do to your customers. seriously BIG mistake.

now the 6 inch line is doing poorly and we wont see that finished either. for goodness sakes, PLAN AHEAD Bandai.
Cheetara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #21
Tracer
Thunderian Commoner
I agree going 8" in the first place was a bad decision but they tried to rectify it and they're damned for that as well. I don't get it.
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #22
AlexofThundera
Talk Hard
While I really like the 8" Lion-O and Tygra I must say the 6" scale seems to suit the line better. Be it because of the way Bandai produces the figures or what not but I feel the 6" Lion-O and Mummra were a better fit then the 8" scale releases.

Hopefully Bandai will continue to do some TRU exclusives along the way be it in 8" or 6" scale.
AlexofThundera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #23
Cheetara
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
I don't get it.
my opinion is they should have planned either a 6" or an 8" line and stuck with it.

... and i prefer the 8".

im holding out hope they will try to get the rest of the core characters out in 8" someway somehow.
Cheetara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #24
eero
"ero" with an extra "e"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetara View Post
my opinion is they should have planned either a 6" or an 8" line and stuck with it.

... and i prefer the 8".

im holding out hope they will try to get the rest of the core characters out in 8" someway somehow.
I have to think we'll see that 8" Cheetara, probably at SDCC. I think if they made mention of her, than the tooling must be done. But I bet that's the swan song.
eero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #25
adssse
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetara View Post
Same here. I have Lion-O and Tygra 8" and love them. I would like at least Cheetara and Panthro.
adssse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #26
ChimmyCartoonKid
Thunder Kitty
I love the 8in line. but my sentiments are pretty much the same as everyone else seems to be:
*8in Classics were surprisingly fantastic beyond expectations (regardless of known joint/eye flaws, & scale preferences)
*I want more 8in Classic
*I'll buy whatever they put out in 8in
*I feel duped/cheated/tricked/used/&crapped on.
*We as a dedicated fan-base community seems to have been teased & definitively promised multiple times, pushing us out of our 'too good to be true/last' concerns & hesitations; then had the carpet pulled from out feet immediately after getting out pants pulled down; all the while they're still acting as if it didn't happen & they are just as surprised as you.

I've wanted these figures since i saw the original show on tv, and knew then the 80's figures didn't do it justice. So when i saw the 8in in stores to much shocked elation, i was further more confused by the odd scale-choice, but immediately added to my love of the figures, as since i had been dreaming of them when i was much smaller bodied, the figures almost seemed to grow in relative size ratio with me. Resulting in STILL the figure i always wanted, not a comparably dwarfed version.
That being said, if they had just started with the 6in, i'd have little to complain about, but after being overjoyed with the scale, accuracy, &quality of the 8in. I just can't bare to deal with the 6in that in a sense seem partly responsible for the lines almost certain death.

Like most, I pondered long&well over going along with their game & switching to the 'inferior' 6in scale; Inspecting them at stores, reading reviews online, trying to see through the haze of my conjecturing predictions in my crystal ball. but not daring to be fooled again, or commit to the death of the better 8in counterparts, I eventually decided i don't want the 6in period. not even for clearance sale price.
And the more i've heard about them, the happier i am to have stuck to my guns. The 6in have poorer articulation, less accessories, the same + new(screws) aesthetic issues, and are tactically lower quality overall.
Though, without the rest of the gang, let alone villains to battle, it's an empty victory. I simply don't feel doubly stupid.

But
Let's be honest here about the scale-size issue:
It's stupid, JUST PLAIN STUPID
, and probably the main reason the 8in hasn't & likely won't continue; & i say everyone who bitched about scale, instead of just eating the delicious cake (because it was just too big a cake?); are just as if not more to blame than the company decision makers themselves.

Why so stupid you ask? Don't get me wrong, i get the idea of how cool it would be to have all your figures be within one definitive world to interact, but the reality is:
*They're aren't from the same show,
*they aren't in the same styles, &
*even within companies, scaling sizes are undefined, let alone competing companies; so even if they make them all "6 inch Scale", that doesn't mean they will all be in relative accurate scale of one another, add to that, the smaller the size, the more minor deviations in measurement show. So 0.5in in a 12in figure in barely noticeable. but in a 6in figure creates some major diminutizing appearances next to each other.
Perfect example: The "6in" modern Thundercats line look nothing like a 6in scale i've ever seen. and the 6in classics, which were basically changed to appease the harping matty fans, don't even fit in genuine scale with the MOTU/DCU line, let alone being a completely different sculpt&paint style. And are a different size than their own 'same scale' era-counterparts. So REALLY great idea with all that.

Besides, having ALL action figures restricted to one specific size would be as dull & disheartening as if everyone in the world looked and acted the same. BORING BORING BORING!!!

Now we got an uncompleted line with so much potential & excitement behind it, and a scaled down version that comparably nobody really wants genuinely (but are at best settling for it).
The only way to save Classics, and Bandai's own faces it keep making the 8in as the primary line[As promised repeatedly from the start]. Cancel the 6in and learn their lesson, unless they really think its justifiable to continue both (as they've been with the Modern 4in & 6in) and keep everybody happy. But with things already so volatile, just stick with the winning start and recognize they might be bigger, but that's not really a bad thing.

Last edited by ChimmyCartoonKid; 12-22-2012 at 01:25 AM..
ChimmyCartoonKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #27
ChimmyCartoonKid
Thunder Kitty
I've emailed Bandai half a dozen times; Reconfirming quality complaints about what figures they had released, in hopes they will be avoided in future releases, asking about the various lines, showing support for Cheetara, Panthro, & Mumm-ra 8in Classics .
I have yet to hear any reply, other than the automated response that says 'we seriously care seriously about customers and will get back in 24-48hrs'. months later each and they have show how much they care by not responding to any.
Mattycollector may suck & i've washed by hands of them; at least when i contact mattel.com with an issue, they've always gotten back promptly and went beyond my expectations without need for griping on my end.

Has anyone else managed to contact the company?
Or know a way of mass-annoying them to give us are promised 8in line?
we need to get a direct line to annoy this "Brehan Maul" 'senior marketing director' joker.
I don't know how these 6in bigots managed to get their message to the company, but we need to do the same to revive the quality 8in Classics enough to get the minimum, if not sustain it longer.

the latest news from the MTV GEEK interview, further leading us on & Smashing Cheetara in our face without saying her name, but it has been over a year now since then. And the 'mysteriously vague' "SHE" aforementioned has yet to appear.

Things don't look good at all.
Didn't Bandai even say the 8in were selling great?

Didn't Bandai even say the 8in were selling great?
And I concur i did see these sitting on shelves at most stores, but that was by far more Tygra, whose eyes were wonky enough most weren't worth having. Overall i think the Lion-Os were going almost as quickly as the modern lines in stores, and online/ebay 8in were selling quite well for months. And granted, doing limited exclusive would be better than simply not having them available at all, but anotheroverprice SDCC/online exclusive for this line, would just be perpetuating the type of bullshit problems that Matty has been contemptibly committing, that companies should be trying to move further from, and Bandai seemed like were honorably trying to avoid with this Classics line. They could at least do store exclusives(Walmart/TRU/Target), and make a smaller run(which honestly the first wave should have been considering the age/era content & questionable 'target-market' response); and produced more if/when demand was there. And all in all would still be a far-cry from the embellished high-hoping promises we were given early on & slowly backpedaled.
As others have said, it doesn't make sense how they're acting.
Their company purpose is to sell toys, and they're not going to sell anything by just doing nothing. And the longer they wait or drag their feet (for unknown reasons), the more people will loose interest, and they will simply sell even less.
I'd at least like to know, Good or bad they should at least have the decency to give us a definitive answer.

Last edited by ChimmyCartoonKid; 12-22-2012 at 03:02 AM..
ChimmyCartoonKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:09 AM   #28
Miguel701
Thunder Kitty
As far as we know the toyline along with the cartoon is over. It's sad to say but true.
Miguel701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #29
Lody
The ORIGINAL Thundercat
It's over dude...you typed all that for nothing
Lody is offline   Reply With Quote