TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Toys and Merchandise

Old 08-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
Fuzz
Thunder Kitty
For what they are, I feel these 4" figures are way overpriced. From what I've seen so far, $8 for a figure that's not too far ahead of McDonalds toy quality is a bit much. Especially for figures that can't even hold their own weapons very well.

Also, $15 for the deluxe 4" figures? Really? An extra $7 just for some extra weapons, etc.?

I also find it a pretty crappy sales tactic that the only way to get Snarf is to shell out $30 for the thundertank. My 11yo is so annoyed. He's not interested in the tank right now, but wants Snarf. And since I told him if he really wants him, he has to pay for the tank himself, he's pretty much screwed until Christmas when I'll probably buy it for him if he doesn't have it already.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
nflxfl21
lion o pride
Every thing is going for crazy prices i miss the 80s so much cheaper
nflxfl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
IndyCat
Thunderian Commoner
prices arent too bad, imo. i just think it sucks when they are different across different stores. IE: $6.99 for the 4" at Kmart while they are $7.99 at TRU. and like wise the MSRP from bandai on the classics is $16.99 while TRU sells them for $19.99 and they are pretty much the only place to get them unless you can find them on amazon, but then you have to pay for shipping.

I have no doubt they will come out with another snarf. Probably with another Lion-O.

But I do agree that for the DX figs $14.99 is to high especially since the figures lack so much articulation compared to the regular versions.

Last edited by IndyCat; 08-16-2011 at 04:42 PM..
IndyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
I haven't seen them in-person yet, but going off of pictures I would say the prices are perfectly acceptable, imho. Just as long as you stay away from TRU of course (only thing I know I'll get there are the Mezco figures). The price to produce and ship toys has gone up over the years, so of course the price you're going to have to pay for them has gone up too.
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
LXL Guy
Thunder Kitty
Only item I have a gripe with in terms of price is Sword of Omens. I really don't want to pay $20 for it.
LXL Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
Valdin
Thunder Kitty
I love the Thundercats. I have been looking forward to these for a while, like everyone else When I did see them at the store in hand, I got a little dissapointed. To see their eyes looking like they were stickers, not high articulation or detail. Lion-o to me is not so bad. Tygras high forehead was a little dissapointing and his flimsy belt as well. Then Mummra seems like just a pvc figure with the least amout of articulation (i wasnt expectiong much, since he is a mummy). I do have to say the card art was nice. I saw some of the 6" figures and was not impressed. Then came the thundertank. $30 is a little pricey. I am not a big fan of electronics on vehicles. I may change my mind when I get it. I do agree that these seem a bit pricey for the quality. Happy meal toys do come to mind. When i saw the sticker eyes I thought of old cereal box toys. I haven't seen the classics yet, which I hope redeem everything. They better for the price. Thankfully they are not gimmicky like the original figures. I never got any of the original figures cause they seemed odd, cause they were too bulky and gimmicky.

thats my 2 cents anyways
Valdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
Valdin
Thunder Kitty
As far as the deluxe figures, I will probably skip half or most of those as they seem flimsly and gimmicky. (Might pick some up if I find them cheaper somewhere. )
Old 08-17-2011, 03:40 AM   #8
Mintcondition
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by nflxfl21 View Post
Every thing is going for crazy prices i miss the 80s so much cheaper
You do realize with inflation today's prices are about as "crazy" as they were in the 80's? Meaning just because the prices seem really cheap in retrospect, you can guarantee there were people (our parents) in the 80's bitching about how expensive toys were and how cheap they used to be.

It's all relative.
Mintcondition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
IndyCat
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintcondition View Post
You do realize with inflation today's prices are about as "crazy" as they were in the 80's? Meaning just because the prices seem really cheap in retrospect, you can guarantee there were people (our parents) in the 80's bitching about how expensive toys were and how cheap they used to be.

It's all relative.
inflation maybe...but its getting hard to swallow to pay $8-$10 for a standard action figure. I mean look at star wars figures. was at Walmart last night and some were on clearance for $8!down from $10. thats crazy. How can they possibly expect a kid to collect (and play with) a collection of figures and vehicles. 10 figures and 2 ships could cost in the neighborhood of $200!
IndyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
Weapon XIX
Thunder Kitty
My only price gripe is the Thundertank. $30 for an incomplete vehicle is a bit much. I realize it's big and has lights and sound and the thunderlynx gimmick, but its still pretty pricey. I'd be more inclined at $20-$25.

And the kmart prices are great for 1/18th figures at $6.99, especially considering the fact that some retailers are going up from the standard $7.99 for a 4" figure and embracing prices over $8.50.

If anything is to blame I'd place it on Star Wars. Consider the vintage line - average standard price is $9.99 while the other figures are less. Eventually most of these will be available as Saga Legends figures for like $6.99. They aren't any more articulated or detailed than the Clone Wars stuff, but somehow they managed to get retailers to pay a premium for them and charge more. Making it ok to charge $10 for a 4" figure only drove retailers to up their prices on the "non-premium" stuff, which is why my Target has a dozen arctic Destros clogging pegs at $8.79 a pop.
Weapon XIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #11
Valdin
Thunder Kitty
What is to be considered is that these figures will be successful (no brainer). Then as the line progresses the quality will (hopefully) get better, but when that happens, the price of the figures will go up from there too.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #12
Steelgrave
Ho!
Everybody knows the prices are way too high. Everybody knows inflation is just another word for greed. Everybody knows that toy collectors will pay any price because they have a disease, an addiction, no self control. And everybody knows toy collectors will make a million excuses to justify their out of control spending habits.

You'll never get an honest answer to this question. No matter the price, most "fans" will pay it & then try to convince themselves & everybody else that it was money well spent. But nobody is fooled.
Steelgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:45 AM   #13
OrionPax9
Thunder Kitty
The prices are a little high but comparable to other toy lines for the most part. I think the deluxe figures are a rip off. There's no reason they should be double the freaking price for a figure of the same size. That being said I pick up deluxe Mummra and Grune. They are nice figures that so far you can only get in the deluxe line but I wasn't happy paying $30 for two 4'' figures.

I wasn't impressed with the look of the 6'' figures at all. They looked like scaled up 4'', the paint apps were sloppy and the details were weak so I passed. The classics figures are on point to me though!
OrionPax9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:46 AM   #14
Monkian
Thunder Monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelgrave View Post
Everybody knows the prices are way too high. Everybody knows inflation is just another word for greed. Everybody knows that toy collectors will pay any price because they have a disease, an addiction, no self control. And everybody knows toy collectors will make a million excuses to justify their out of control spending habits.

You'll never get an honest answer to this question. No matter the price, most "fans" will pay it & then try to convince themselves & everybody else that it was money well spent. But nobody is fooled.
What you are seeing is most definitely inflationary. I don't know that I would classify it as greed though. The increase in prices is derived from two primary components: 1) The cost of petroleum(this is where the plastic in these toys is derived from), which is determined by a) the value of the U.S. dollar b) supply and demand and c) speculation and 2) Wage increases in developing nations where these products are made, namely, at least in this instance, China. The dollar is being debased by increases in the supply of money, namely quantitative easing. Globally, demand for petroleum is up. Speculators speculate that this trend will continue, which fuels demand for petrol and further increases the price, and last, but not least, the standard of living is increasing in China because they've gotten a taste of what double digit GDP growth can bring and are sick of working for $2 a day with no bathroom breaks. This trend will continue, long term. As a result, we will see increases in all products, not just toys. The 80's were a long time ago, economically speaking, and we will not be revisiting them, save a turn of events that is catastrophic for emerging economies, any time soon. Get used to it boys. Just be thankful that you have the discretionary income to spend on such things. Some people can barely even scrape together enough money to get to work each day.. that's if they even have jobs. So, go grab a mojito and enjoy the party, things are just getting started.
Monkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
SPLIT LIP
King of Braves
I'm more annoyed they're not even in this country yet.

Honestly after (briefly, thank God) collecting DCUC the prices on the six inch figures at least is not that big a deal. Everything is pricier these days, but as Monkian said, it's due to a lot of things.

Last edited by SPLIT LIP; 08-20-2011 at 01:37 PM..
SPLIT LIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #16
Fuzz
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkian View Post
What you are seeing is most definitely inflationary. I don't know that I would classify it as greed though. The increase in prices is derived from two primary components: 1) The cost of petroleum(this is where the plastic in these toys is derived from), which is determined by a) the value of the U.S. dollar b) supply and demand and c) speculation and 2) Wage increases in developing nations where these products are made, namely, at least in this instance, China. The dollar is being debased by increases in the supply of money, namely quantitative easing. Globally, demand for petroleum is up. Speculators speculate that this trend will continue, which fuels demand for petrol and further increases the price, and last, but not least, the standard of living is increasing in China because they've gotten a taste of what double digit GDP growth can bring and are sick of working for $2 a day with no bathroom breaks. This trend will continue, long term. As a result, we will see increases in all products, not just toys. The 80's were a long time ago, economically speaking, and we will not be revisiting them, save a turn of events that is catastrophic for emerging economies, any time soon. Get used to it boys. Just be thankful that you have the discretionary income to spend on such things. Some people can barely even scrape together enough money to get to work each day.. that's if they even have jobs. So, go grab a mojito and enjoy the party, things are just getting started.
While you make a good point that petroleum plays a large part in the production cost of plastics, it's still moot because most 6"-7" premium action figures, such as NECA, only cost around $15 - $18.

Compare a deluxe 4" TC figure with say a 7" Neca Predator figure and tell me you don't feel completely ripped off.

Last edited by Fuzz; 08-20-2011 at 03:25 PM..
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #17
snarfsnarf
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
For what they are, I feel these 4" figures are way overpriced. From what I've seen so far, $8 for a figure that's not too far ahead of McDonalds toy quality is a bit much. Especially for figures that can't even hold their own weapons very well.

Also, $15 for the deluxe 4" figures? Really? An extra $7 just for some extra weapons, etc.?

I also find it a pretty crappy sales tactic that the only way to get Snarf is to shell out $30 for the thundertank. My 11yo is so annoyed. He's not interested in the tank right now, but wants Snarf. And since I told him if he really wants him, he has to pay for the tank himself, he's pretty much screwed until Christmas when I'll probably buy it for him if he doesn't have it already.
Maybe see if someone on here just wants the tank and not the Snarf and make a deal to go in on it together for your son. that way he can have a Snarf and someone can have a Tank. Sounds easier then it is I'm sure lol
snarfsnarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #18
squawkbot
Thunder Kitty
yeah, I think you'll totally be able to ebay a loose snarf before christmas

as far as inflation goes, play with this:

CPI Inflation Calculator

see how much those "cheap" 80's toys really cost our parents
squawkbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #19
raiden225005
Thunder Kitty
I'd say thundercats is priced a little more reasonably than some other toy lines (mattel young justice). Just don't buy at toysrus. In almost every case their prices are way higher than walmart and target.
raiden225005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:04 PM   #20
Thundera
Thundercat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiden225005 View Post
I'd say thundercats is priced a little more reasonably than some other toy lines (mattel young justice). Just don't buy at toysrus. In almost every case their prices are way higher than walmart and target.
I work at toys r us and i don't evenly really buy from there, lol how sad is that? I mean even with my discount it still comes out to more than walmart... Now that is really sad...
Thundera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #21
Monkian
Thunder Monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
While you make a good point that petroleum plays a large part in the production cost of plastics, it's still moot because most 6"-7" premium action figures, such as NECA, only cost around $15 - $18.

Compare a deluxe 4" TC figure with say a 7" Neca Predator figure and tell me you don't feel completely ripped off.
Yeah, I see your point. I'm not saying that there isn't some form of price gouging going on here as well, but there are so many possible variables to the equation that it's not exactly cut and dry as to why we're seeing these prices. Personally, I think that if they're going to charge the prices that they are, the quality should be higher. There are fundamental problems with some of the figures articulations, and that is disappointing.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:53 PM   #22
Monkian
Thunder Monkey
Another point is that these toys are not aimed at adult collectors, where the NECA figures are. So, I think that the quality issues some of the figures have are a direct result of that fact. Value is a subjective thing and most kids aren't thinking of things in those terms. They're just happy to have the toys. Hell, look at some of the 80's toys for proof positive, if in doubt. But most of us here were happy as could be with them. As long as the kids are happy with the toys, most parents aren't thinking in terms of value either. As adult collectors, our perspective is hardly the same.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:27 AM   #23
Hyper Jaguar
Thunder Kitty
I'm annoyed, but not surprised. 4" action figures have taken place of 5" action figures that were dominant several years ago. As for the 6" figures, Bandai probably has a good idea that mostly collectors will be buying those.
Hyper Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #24
shimey013
Thunder Kitty
Prices actually don't bother me as much as they should. It seem to be the norm for anything anymore. Being involved in sports collectibles too I've bought alot less for alot more.

Kmart seems to have the best prices.. $7 for 4 inch basic, $12 for Delux and $15 for 6inch. That seems to be the norm for alot of toys/collectibles around that size anymore.

I think Bandai went with the impression that the people who will be buying these are the collectors.

Working at Toys R Us, I have seen more people in their 20-30's buying these and not that many kids grabbing for them. We stay sold out due to the collectors.
shimey013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #25
Mintcondition
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by squawkbot View Post
yeah, I think you'll totally be able to ebay a loose snarf before christmas

as far as inflation goes, play with this:

CPI Inflation Calculator

see how much those "cheap" 80's toys really cost our parents
You're absolutely right. People don't take inflation into account and don't realize that just because something seemed cheap back then NOW it doesn't mean it was.
Mintcondition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #26
Blade Raider
Thunder Kitty
They're $6.97 at Walmart. That's the exact same price as Power Rangers amd GI Joes (In fact, my Walmart had them right next to Joes). If we're going to talk overpriced, there's Star Wars and all Marvel lines. I'm not sure what Walmart's price on the deluxe figures are because they weren't out, but they do seem a little overpriced. Good thing I'm only getting Grune.

Last edited by Blade Raider; 08-21-2011 at 05:18 PM..
Blade Raider is offline   Reply With Quote