TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats General Discussion

Old 08-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
Fist Pounder
Thunder Kitty
Like most of us I started watching the cartoon when I was a wee one.My mother in turn bought me a liono and young tygra from a garage sale and at some point a new slithe figure which i never remember playing with.

I always used to love playing with liono and tygra when i was little but my interest did not really peak again until thundercats aired again on cartoon network.

After that i searched the basement as well as my parents shed(this was when I was a teenager) looking for my liono and young tygra. (I managed to find Liono) after that it was all uphill when I would go to garage sales,flea markets or collectors conventions with my father.

Liono stood on my shelf all by his lonesome until a trip to a garage scale would score me a mummra the everliving acton figure.

Over the course of that year they would be joined by panthro, slythe, hammerhand, grune the destroyer hammerhand and young tygra.

I was really in business when a vendor at a flea market who I bought alot of old masters of the universe toys from came into some thundercats.

From him I would gain tuska warrior, a complete slythe, the mutant fist pounder nose diver jackalman mamutt and a bunch of others.

It was at a convention at syracuse where I was able to finish my set of the original thundercats and the mutants. I found my cheetara, vulterman and pvcs of wily kit and kat and snarf. I also found a nm complete liono.

It would be a while before i added the thundertank from a garage sale to my collection.

But now with the new series and new toys I plan on adding to my collection and hope for the release of the original jaga and others.

I have the new thundertank now just checking the local toys r us for more

Whats your collecting story
Fist Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:35 AM   #2
LordDudington
His Dudeship
I had the original Lion-O as a kid and Thundercats was one of the few metal lunchboxes I ever had. I liked the show. Never got any of the other Thundercat toys, as I was far more into Joes and transforming toy robots at the time.

Fast forward to now; I've bought one of every 4" figure so far.
LordDudington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
McSoundwave
Thundercat Ho
Although I cannot recollect having any of the vintage toys, I was a big fan of the original 80's cartoon as a child and have remained such into my adulthood. I had actually been rewatching that series, courtesy of Netflix, with my soon-to-be 8 y.o. daughter, rekindling my interest in the Thundercats while simultaneously sparking hers before the new series was released and before I knew about the classics line release from Bandai. Needless to say, I was thrilled when I ascertained the amazing new renditions of the classics were going to be made available. So, in a sense, my interest for these particular toys (only the classics) was a long time coming and a no-brainer. I just can't wait for my Lion-O and Tygra set to come in from Entertainment Earth and any subsequent original cartoon faithful releases from this classics line.
McSoundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
IndyCat
Thunderian Commoner
Having been a toy collector it was just a matter of time. I watched the show as a kid and played with the toys. What got me to begin collecting them was a good deal I found on Craigslist. I always wanted to start collecting them and the deal was too good to pass up, so thats how I started collecting them. not as keen on the new versions, but they are growing on me. The new classics are absolutely amazing. Exactly what I wanted in a re-release.
IndyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
nflxfl21
lion o pride
I remember my mom got me a lion o from a department store catalog then i got tygra from universal studios .i was so happy i been collecting forever now i love the 80s
nflxfl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Hyper Jaguar
Thunder Kitty
I first had hand-me-downs from my brother who was a fan of the show from back in the '80's. When the new series was announced earlier this year, I jumped on the bandwagon, and I must say, I am VERY impressed. I usually collect Power Ranger toys, but the ThunderCats line is so much better. (Even though they are both made by the same company)
Hyper Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
I wouldn't classify myself as a Thundercats collector, yet. Though once I start finding the figures in-stores I will be. Anyways, I was really into the original show as a kid. I'm not entirely sure I had any of the toys, as by the time I got into the show it was all reruns, and I doubt the toys would have been on store shelves at the time. Hadn't really thought much about it till news of the reboot came along. I've been a fan of many things, from Batman, to TMNT, to Transformers, and many more, but I would have to say that Transformers eclipses them all for me.
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
RichardC
Thunder Kitty
i of course was a kid and watched the original when they aired.my first two figures were mumra the ever living and a lion o my mom and dad got me when i was in the hospital,after that i was hooked wound up getting the rest of the cats and a couple more baddies and the thundertank for when i passed 1st grade *l*

sadly i dont know where any of that stuff is now who knows right?

but now ive picked up all 7 4 inch figs the deluxe 4 inch mumra and the classic lion o scince last friday *l*
RichardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
squawkbot
Thunder Kitty
Like most guys here, I grew up in the wonderful decade of the 80's.

So naturally I had these guys growing up, even the sword of omens....then my A-hole little cousins broke it in the late 90's...bastards.

Anyway, never really collected Thundercats b/c of the high cost of sealed figures, but few years ago this guy on craigslist posted a lot of 10 MOC figures for $200.

I couldn't believe it, but I met up with the guy. He was trying to liquidate his collection. He didnt really collect action figures and was trying to make space. He knew that he could get way more ebaying them, but didnt want to go through the hassle. Major score.

But yeah, thats how I got into collecting
squawkbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
Tony_Bacala
Cornelius Tunar FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenxl7 View Post
I wouldn't classify myself as a Thundercats collector, yet. Though once I start finding the figures in-stores I will be. Anyways, I was really into the original show as a kid. I'm not entirely sure I had any of the toys, as by the time I got into the show it was all reruns, and I doubt the toys would have been on store shelves at the time. Hadn't really thought much about it till news of the reboot came along. I've been a fan of many things, from Batman, to TMNT, to Transformers, and many more, but I would have to say that Transformers eclipses them all for me.
Good to know I am not the only one that isn't hardcore since the 80s. .

I was into the show as a kid, had a toy or 2, watched the reruns on Cartoon Network in early 2000s. Have had t-shirts and stuff since. Basically always into the property, more so as an idea in later years.

Recently, got all the wildstorm comics, all the DVDs used on ebay. And, have been paying attention to every angle of the relaunch for the site. And digging it.

I will be a "collector" of modern toy stuff, in some form. But, not a completionist, and most likely not vintage stuff in any major aspect. Piece here and there.

Bottom line, the relaunch is what drew me back in, to the vintage and new versions of the property.
Tony_Bacala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #11
Fist Pounder
Thunder Kitty
I had convinced myself that the heart and soul of my collection was the vintage collection ive built over the years but that I would definatly get a couple of pieces from the new series to enhance it.

But today forget about it. I bought the rest of the thundercats at tru that i didint find at k mart tuesday and the lizard cannon.

I was only going to get the thundertank lizard cannon the 6 inch mummra mummy mummra, panthro and maybe liono.

But I couldnt resist the chance to pick up all the thundercats (besides liono which i got from k mart this week) that I was missing.

I now have the basic 4 inch set the lizard cannon and thundertank.

Will probably never get the thunder racers and im unsure about grune the destroyer already having the vintage one and Im not sure about his role in the cartoon yet so he may just end up on the shelf.

But already ive gotten far more than i planned and look forward to the next assortment and hope for one of those big lizard vehicles we saw in the last episode.

Am I the only one who thinks the new ones look better than the originals? I mean these look like they came straight from the cartoon.
Fist Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
Lody
The ORIGINAL Thundercat
I had them since I was 6 years old.
Lody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #13
Weapon XIX
Thunder Kitty
I only ever had Lion-O as a kid - I was way more into Turtles and Batman. But in terms of the modern stuff it was the show that got me to collect. I was considering passing on the line altogether, but after the first few episodes I knew I couldn't pass them up. And I'm very happy I was able to get all the cats in the first wave. Not crazy about the packout ratio, but Kudos to Bandai for making them all available right off the bat.
Weapon XIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:57 PM   #14
Devinebull1978
Thunder Kitty
In 1986, SABC - South African Broadcasting Corporation - brought out a new show called Thundercats. I was 8 years old and during this time in my country sanctions were imposed. I loved the show as a kid and of course saw advertisements for the toys on T.V but alas, the toys were very hard to come by and very exspensive. They were privately imported into the country and sold to very high end toy stores.

It was only on Christmas 1987 that to my surprise my parents managed to find some Thundercat toys and my brother and I each got one to our delight. As usual I always chose the evil side and I got my beloved Mumm-ra. My brother got Lion-o.

Over the next few months it seemed to me that a few of my friends too seemed to have access to buying the toys. We all used to get together and show off our new figurines to the disgust of the girls in our class. I was happy to add Vultureman, Monkian, and Ma-mut

Sadly South Africa never did get the second or third series aired to my knowledge and the craze died out.

I never did throw away any of my toys from my childhood and at the age of 21,I immigrated to the United Kingdom and started my new life in London. I of course brought all my toys that mattered to me along.

A few years back I went into a large DVD retail store and to my amazement saw that series 1 and 2 had come out on DVD.

I immediately bought it and rushed back home and started to watch the series. It brought back so many good memories I thought to myself it time for me to go through my old toys hidden somewhere in the back of my cupboard.

I dusted off old Mumm-ra and his fellow evil companions. I thought to myself its been over 20 years, how much are these old toys worth. I went onto eBay and I was happy to see that in good condition with all the weapens etc they can be worth a lot to someone who really wants them.

I am happy to say that my collection has grown somewhat over the last few months with favourite additons of Ben-gali (my favourite figurine) complete Jaga ( 2 variants) complete Moat monster. Young/Old Tygra.

I seem to be drawn to the variants of each character and also the rip off done in countries like Mexico. I recently purchased a Ben-gali rip off from Mexico and it really does add a new demension to my figurine collection. Even kids in poorer countries in the 80's wanted to have a Thundercat.

My next aquisition I am looking at next to purchase, is a complete Driller. I tend to stear away from the MOC's as I want to be able to touch,hold and experience the toy line that brought back so many good memories and play times with my childhood friends. What is your opinion on this ???

I am super happy that the cartoon has been revamped and released. And I will be purchasing the new toy line as soon as I have completed my old loose classic set.

Watch out as there is a new collector out there in London UK. I would love top hear from other London or UK based collectors if you are out there.
Devinebull1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #15
Trukkinmunky
cleric
I watched the show all the time on Toonami and I was a big fan. But since that was after the toys were available I wasn't able to get any. Then when the new series was announced I was super excited. I went and bought the Thundercats DVDs and was so pumped for the new show. After seeing the premiere I had to have the new toys. Now I own most of them and all the classics figures as well. This new series has rekindled a fire in my heart that the old Thundercats reruns had started.
Trukkinmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:21 AM   #16
Primacron
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devinebull1978 View Post
Watch out as there is a new collector out there in London UK. I would love top hear from other London or UK based collectors if you are out there.
Howdy!

I'm down the other end of the M4, in Wales. Interesting to hear your story, I was chatting to a guy from South Africa the other day about how hard it was to get hold of a SNES back in the day. Similar situation I guess.

Anyway, I used to love Thundercats back in the day, watching the cartoon of a Saturday morning used to be a highlight of my week (Going Live! anyone!?). Had a fair few figures - Lion-O, Tygra, Jackalman, Wilykat (given to me by my Dad when I was in hospital) and both Mumm-Ra's (sent off for the mummy one back in the day).

I don't have any of them anymore (except that funny red thing you used to light up Lion-O/Mumm-Ra's eyes) so I won't be a collector until the Classics figures hit UK retail in December.

I'm a Transformers collector primarily, but am keen to get updated versions of all the other things I liked as a kid - Turtles, Ghostbusters, Power Rangers, X-men, Batman and Thundercats. Feels like we've been waiting a while for updated Thundercats!
Primacron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #17
PANTHRO HOOO
Thunderian Commoner
I didnt chose to it chose me. Being an only child I got alot of toys. I wasnt just the first kid in the house but in my whole extended family. My mom would bring me a figure home at least once a week I guess cause she felt bad about working like some mothers did back then. I remember christmas seeing shirt boxes and when i opened them they would be full of figures. the only single character I dont ever remember having is the moat monster. Then it happened. High School. No longer concerned with toys my new hobby was getting high and women. I believe I threw out a large part of my collection because I was just too cool to have action figures up in a room where girls were coming. So the moral of my story kids is be greatfull for what you have, dont let women keep you from the things you loved and if you do drugs you will lose things that are important to you. Even your thundertank.
PANTHRO HOOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:49 AM   #18
Grune the Destroyer
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primacron View Post
Anyway, I used to love Thundercats back in the day, watching the cartoon of a Saturday morning used to be a highlight of my week (Going Live! anyone!?).
Actually, I recall the Saturday repeats being on just before Going Live... as part of some weird children's show presented by Cheryl Baker. About 8am in the morning if my nostalgic geekiness recalls correctly.

Anyway, I was a fan when T-Cats first ran on BBC1 in 1987 (from the Broom Cupboard!) on a weekly basis. Strangely - and unlike other properties such as Transformers, He-Man, Star Wars, Turtles, Ghostbusters and MASK - my brother & I didn't have that many T-Cat figures. Lion-O, Slithe, Grune, the Thundertank...maybe a couple more. Anyway, all I remember is they weren't numerous enough to deserve their own box (they shared with He-Man).

Back in 2001, I got disposable income and learned of ebay... and went after everything from my childhood, including Thundercats. However, only Transformers collecting really "stuck" and I sold all my acquired T-Cats (except childhood ones) circa 2004.

I haven't been inclined to buy any back until now. I'm tempted... but we'll see. Definitely interested in checking out the new stuff come December... esp. the Classics.
Grune the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #19
Lion O of savannah
TruthJusticeHonorLoyalty
The classic cartoon was awsome, one of the greater cartoons of the 80's. I had a lot of the orginal figures when I was growing up. Fast fowarding to now, this new cartoon is soooooo spot on with none of the cheese the originl had sometimes. Now every Friday night, I turn into a 6 year old watchin the show surrounded by my new figures collection, and eating a bowl of cereal. I have all the 4 inch and 6 inch figures, the classics figs, and the tank. Hooooooooooooo
Lion O of savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #20
Kameinu
Thunder Kitty
I had a couple of LJN figures as a kid. The Tygra managed to survive and lives on my shelves with my new TCats toys and items. I became a collector because I simply adore toys and collecting them.
Kameinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #21
nitewing73
Thunderian Commoner
I watched the show when I was young but didn't get any of the toys. At the time I was heavy into GIJOE A Real American Hero and my younger brother was into Transformers. Our folks didn't really get us too much of the other lines although my bro did have a Sword of Omens and some M.A.S.K. toys and I had Super Powers, Joe and Transformers were our main toylines.

It wasn't until the new toon that I started collecting the Thundercats toys because I like the 4 inch line and the Classics. I do own an original Lion-O but the sword has a lot of paint wear.

I own the entire original series on DVD and I have most if not all of the Wildstorm issues of the Thundercats comics.
nitewing73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #22
Steelheart
Silverhawk Sergeant
Wouldn't call myself a collector but I've always loved to show and have all the DVDs. I still have my classic Cheetara, Wilykit, and Pumyra figures and plan to get the modern versions. I remember the two boys that lived next door to me as a kid were obsessed with ThunderCats and we used to play it all the time. Between the three of us we had all the action figures (or at least all the good guys) though we normally just played TCats as ourselves. I think they had the Lion-O play sword as I recall. The two boys would alternate being Lion-O and Panthro. I, with my trusty walking stick, always got to be Cheetara.

When it comes to toys, Silverhawks were more my thing. I still have the complete line of the original good guys and Maraj playset somewhere in my attic. I remember going to the Hills store every month with my allowance and getting a new figure. Anyone remember those stores? My Steelheart figure was always my stand in for Arcee whenever I played with my Transformers, since there was no figure of her back then. I hope we get some updated Silverhawks figures if TCats figures are successful.
Steelheart is offline   Reply With Quote