TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats General Discussion

Old 10-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
HarryCanyon
Thunder Kitty
I think it would work now i've been convinced by the clips of the new TinTin movie, Avatar and Caesar on Rise of the Apes. WETA who did all those movies who are now Motion capture masterpiece can join with Warner in doing a Mocap animated movie.

It would have no robotic acting like earlier attempts at Mocap have, pure realism, believable creatures and of course no dead eyes since WETA has conquered the uncanny valley.
HarryCanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
If they get the level of detail that Avatar did, than I'd be ok with it (only movie to use that much mocap that I actually like). However, the vast majority of mocap movies I've seen clips from have been absolutely horrible. The insistence on making them extremely cartoony in an attempt to make them "artistic" doesn't help a bit. TinTin looks no different from all the other horribly made mocap movies that have come before it, imho.
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
HarryCanyon
Thunder Kitty
What made Avatar and Rise of the Apes different? were they in the uncanny valley?
Old 11-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
What made Avatar and Rise of the Apes different? were they in the uncanny valley?
Neither movie was an attempt to make an entire movie using motion capture (aka both had significant live action sequences). They also tried to make their use of mocap as realistic as possible. Where as most mocap movies make everything ubber cartoony and "artistic" looking, which combined with mocap makes a rather horrendous looking final product, imho. Addmitedly the child me would love that kind of stuff, but I've lost my taste for the ubber cartoony and deformed looking stuff over the years.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
HarryCanyon
Thunder Kitty
So do Mocap only for live-action movies right?
Old 11-05-2011, 12:38 AM   #6
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
So do Mocap only for live-action movies right?
As far as I'm concerned, yeah. Only way I could see an entirely cg T-cats movie using mocap turning out well, would be if they made it detailed and realistic looking. The proof-of-concept sort of video they made a while back is as close to the cartoony look of things I would be ok with seeing in a T-cats movie.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
ThundercatsRules
Thunder Kitty
dont get your hopes up.the movie is as claimed a "cancelled project".
ThundercatsRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
king kahn
Thunder Kitty
I don't think a tcats movie in the vein of avatar is the way to go. You need A LOT of money behind a film for the effect to be up to that standard and I do not think they would have the correct amount of money to do tcats correctly.
king kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThundercatsRules View Post
dont get your hopes up.the movie is as claimed a "cancelled project".
I won't. Was just using it as an example to illustrate what I was trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king kahn View Post
I don't think a tcats movie in the vein of avatar is the way to go. You need A LOT of money behind a film for the effect to be up to that standard and I do not think they would have the correct amount of money to do tcats correctly.
Which is why I'm hoping they stay away from mocap. If they can't get the budget to do that level of detail with a mocap movie, than I think they should consider other options available to them.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:58 AM   #10
HarryCanyon
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by king kahn View Post
What did you think of Zemeckis's Mocap animated efforts and Final Fantasy The Spirits Within?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #11
vshen
If you can combine practical effects and cgi as good as Guillermo Del Toro, I reckon it's a good direction to take.
Also having seen the Hulk in action in the Avengers really pushes my confidence for an all cgi Thundercats and Rise of the Planet of the Apes is also a great standard.
I think if you get the right VFX house such as ILM and WETA you really don't have to worry about it getting the quality right, you just need to worry about a great story, talented director and actors.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
I think there's a degree of motion capture that can help a budget, but I would still want to see see something very stylized in the fashion of Square Enix.

You can tell there's a budget to movies like Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, and even the TGS 2010 trailer for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Beautiful, serious CGI on the level with the best of Pixar quality animation, without too much Disney influence.
CreepySariFan is offline   Reply With Quote