TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Toys and Merchandise

Old 08-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
thatboywhite
Thunder Kitty
hi forum dwellers, i have a very difficult question for you.

stores are now stocking the new figures.

is purchasing all (or as many as you can) of the new thundercat figures a good investment? obvious plan is to keep them mint on card and stored safely for future re-sale.

i'm sure everyone is aware of the rediculous rates the 1985-87 figures are going for now-a-days. i don't want to miss an oppurtunity like that, but maybe it was an extremely rare combination of circumstance.

any thoughts are appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11111.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	535
thatboywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
IndyCat
Thunderian Commoner
really????

your going to ask that question amongst a forum of collectors?

Collect to Collect Code of Honor
Quote:
- Buy only what you need and make sure others get one before you get many.

- Acquire pieces for your collection because you want them, not because you plan to profit from them.

- Help others achieve their collecting goals for the sake of the hobby, not profit.

- When you trade or sell available toys, do so at cost.

- When you trade or sell unavailable toys, do so keeping the golden rule in mind: you'll always win in the long run if you don't take advantage of people.

- Buy from scalpers as a very last resort. They exist because people buy from them and do not make collecting toys easier. Scalping only promotes decay within the hobby.

- Understand it is more important for a kid to have the toys than you; help them out whenever possible. You're likely to get another chance at the toy, he/she may not.

Last edited by IndyCat; 08-11-2011 at 03:45 PM..
IndyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
JohnnyAngel77
Thunder Kitty
Honestly, its a gamble these days. If you have the extra $ to invest in it, I'd say go for it. If you are putting your life savings into TC stock, I wouldn't take the risk.
JohnnyAngel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
JohnnyAngel77
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyCat View Post
really????

your going to ask that question amongst a forum of collectors?

get out.
I see nothing wrong with this though. The op didn't say he was looking to scalp the sh!t outta them on eBay but maybe someday hope they were worth something. Just like TONS of people did in the 80's and still do now. How do you think people are able to buy mint on card 80's Joes, Star Wars, etc? Hmm.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #5
IndyCat
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAngel77 View Post
I see nothing wrong with this though. The op didn't say he was looking to scalp the sh!t outta them on eBay but maybe someday hope they were worth something. Just like TONS of people did in the 80's and still do now. How do you think people are able to buy mint on card 80's Joes, Star Wars, etc? Hmm.
imo....buying something just to store in a box and sell in 5-10 years from now does not equal a collector, rather a reseller.

his intent is to re-sell them when the price is right. granted the future is unkown...but a collector collects to keep. Life happens and collectors are forced to sell. But resale is not a collectors ambition.

Last edited by IndyCat; 08-11-2011 at 02:30 PM..
IndyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
JohnnyAngel77
Thunder Kitty
In your opinion. Who cares though, ya know? Does it have some personal affect on you and your life? I kinda doubt it. My best friends dad growing up always took us to the toy store with him when he went. He would always buy himself a MOC figure and/or vehicle and one for his son, to open of course. He told us it was like the comics he collected, he loved them and collected them for that reason. But he always told us they would be worth more $$$ one day and if he ever needed to, he could sell them. He ended up selling it all off when my buddy graduated college and gave him the $. It became my friends down payment on his house. So, seeing the good that came from the investment, I can't bitch about other people wanting to do that.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
thatboywhite
Thunder Kitty
good replies

i am a collector btw, check out the showcase forum (thatboywhite).

i grew up watching the original show and playing with the original toys, so i collected.

this new series has no emmotional grasp on me, so my intent would be to sell down the road.

Last edited by thatboywhite; 08-11-2011 at 03:44 PM..
Old 08-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
As much as I despise those who "collect" just to make a profit some day (not saying that anybody here is, just something in general), I too have thought about what these could someday be worth. Most of the figures and stuff I get will be opened, posed, and displayed, but I might get a second copy of certain things to keep in-package. If they don't ever increase in value, they would always make great gifts for any children I might have in the future.
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
thatboywhite
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenxl7 View Post
If they don't ever increase in value, they would always make great gifts for any children I might have in the future.
i like this idea
Old 08-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
squawkbot
Thunder Kitty
Let me answer that question,
No they will not. If you dont enjoy playing with them or seeing them staring you down from behind plastic bubbles, don't buy them. Just leave them there for kids and adults that do.
squawkbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #11
JohnnyAngel77
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by squawkbot View Post
If you dont enjoy playing with them or seeing them staring you down from behind plastic bubbles, don't buy them. Just leave them there for kids and adults that do.
Or you can continue to do as you like because its your money, time, life, choice, etc.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #12
LordLionO
Hear the Roar.
A person can do what they like, but I really don't think they'll be worth anywhere near in future what the vintage toys are now.
LordLionO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #13
JohnnyAngel77
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLionO View Post
A person can do what they like, but I really don't think they'll be worth anywhere near in future what the vintage toys are now.
This I do agree with. I don't see too many toy lines being sold today worth more years later.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #14
LordLionO
Hear the Roar.
Yeah, unless it's a limited production run or had limited availability. That fact is only a small amount of people thought of collecting and future value on a toy-line back then in comparison to the amount in the last 10 years. There was just one line and that was it. No basic, collector's and classic.
LordLionO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #15
Gale
Thunder Kitty
Back in the 80s there wasn't collectors, there were people who bought toys to play with. So to find a vintage toy in good condition is more rare, making it more valuable. Nowadays there are plenty of collectors who keep what they buy in pristine condition. So, no, I don't think you'll be able to sell a modern toy by a big company such as bandai that are sold in toys r us for a sizable profit.
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #16
squawkbot
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAngel77 View Post
Or you can continue to do as you like because its your money, time, life, choice, etc.
...or you could just sit down and play some xbox, or stand in the middle of the road and stare up at the sky, or try to auction one of your testicles on ebay, etc.

like he said, Its your money/life/time/testicle/etc.

Last edited by squawkbot; 08-11-2011 at 07:36 PM..
squawkbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #17
GK Punk
Your Straight Edge Savior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale View Post
Back in the 80s there wasn't collectors, there were people who bought toys to play with. So to find a vintage toy in good condition is more rare, making it more valuable. Nowadays there are plenty of collectors who keep what they buy in pristine condition. So, no, I don't think you'll be able to sell a modern toy by a big company such as bandai that are sold in toys r us for a sizable profit.
This is pretty much exactly the case.
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #18
thatboywhite
Thunder Kitty
if only i had a time machine, forget killing hitler, back to 85 to scream at myself "STOP!" as I violently opened my thundercats toys.

i guess the only potential way of making a good profit on the new series is if it fails. then they only have the initial production run and the hardcore fans would remember the re-make as a "clear pepsi" phase
Old 08-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #19
Tracer
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale View Post
Exactly this.

Last edited by Tracer; 08-13-2011 at 06:57 PM..
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #20
dollman ron
Disabled and handling it.
If you want to have a bad rap then yes, if you want to be a true collector and leave something for other collectors and the kids then No.
dollman ron is offline   Reply With Quote