TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Toys and Merchandise

Old 08-15-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
Mintcondition
Thunder Kitty
I do think it's great to have new Thundercats toys, and truth be told I've bought just about everything released already.

However I do have some issues...

The number one issue I have with all the figures is the scale in the 4 inch line. I remember back at Toy Fair Bandai was boasting about how proud it was about how they were sticking to a "true scale" with their figures. Meaning that just because the 4 inch figures were...well, 4 inch figures, it didn't mean that every figure was going to be 4 inches tall. They were all going to be on a 4 inch scale, but all the proper height in correlation with one another, like Panthro being really tall, etc.

However, the 4 inch Deluxe Mumm-Ra is barely any taller than Lion-O at all, and the 6 inch Mumm-Ra seems more in scale.

Likewise Snarf seems far too BIG for the 4 inch scale since he's half Lion-O's height, but looks great standing next to the 6 inch Lion-O.

Another thing is, most of the characters can't properly hold their weapons, which is just frustrating.

The Thundertank canopy being so loose is pretty annoying as well.

I have to hand it to Bandai for trying. They really are, but Bandai of America has never impressed me, but at least the 8 inch figures are great. Here's hoping they keep it up.
Mintcondition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:56 AM   #2
Steevy Maximus
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintcondition View Post
The number one issue I have with all the figures is the scale in the 4 inch line. I remember back at Toy Fair Bandai was boasting about how proud it was about how they were sticking to a "true scale" with their figures. Meaning that just because the 4 inch figures were...well, 4 inch figures, it didn't mean that every figure was going to be 4 inches tall. They were all going to be on a 4 inch scale, but all the proper height in correlation with one another, like Panthro being really tall, etc.

However, the 4 inch Deluxe Mumm-Ra is barely any taller than Lion-O at all, and the 6 inch Mumm-Ra seems more in scale.

Likewise Snarf seems far too BIG for the 4 inch scale since he's half Lion-O's height, but looks great standing next to the 6 inch Lion-O.
To be fair, they were probably sticking to "true scale" as best as possible while fulfilling other size, cost, and retail obligations. As a key character, Bandai was always going to ensure a wide range of options were available for Mumm-Ra (I'd almost guarantee as basic 4" figure of his Everliving form within the next year or so if the line is still going). It is also worth noting the 4" deluxe and 6" figures both vary in the stuff Mumm-Ra comes with. The deluxe figure got its size cut down to offset the big ass wings he has. But at least Bandai is offering "larger basic" figures in the deluxe range rather than overly gimmicked variations on the same old guys.
Even so, why complain when Bandai DID try and make a true scale Mumm-Ra, he's just marketed as a different size. If the 6" figure is more "to scale", then just buy the dang 6" figure! But I'd guarantee that the deluxe figure will not have a hard time selling because that figure will probably "play better" with the upcoming vehicles and accessories.

Realistically, it's generally only older fans/collectors that are going to give a crap about "true scale". I'm not even sure it should be an issue given Bandai IS (apparently) offering true scale..just under different names.

Quote:
Another thing is, most of the characters can't properly hold their weapons, which is just frustrating.

The Thundertank canopy being so loose is pretty annoying as well.
Can't comment on these, still haven't found the line locally, but just from the images, I think this line is among Bandai USA's better efforts of the past several years. Not sure that is saying much though...
Steevy Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
Mintcondition
Thunder Kitty
Yes it does seem like one of the better lines they've made, but it really doesn't say much. They're just not used to collector lines. The only collector line they've done before this is the Power Rangers one that had super articulated versions of the original Power Rangers.

I do have the 6 inch Mumm-Ra, but he looks great standing next to the 6 inch Lion-O and I really don't want to buy two Mumm-Ra's for each scale.

Here's hoping they make a basic 4 inch Mumm-Ra and he's a tad larger.

For now I'm just going to assume that Mumm-Ra doesn't get too much bigger in his ever living form unless when he shows up in the new show and he's just HUGE then I'll be disappointed, lol.

For now it's not too bad. He is bigger than the others, but not too much bigger.

I also hope for a 6 inch regular Mumm-Ra figure at some point.
Mintcondition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
pdaaat
Thunder Kitty
Snarf's size may be a safety issue.

Looking forward to getting my first 4" guys this week.

Is 4" Panthro bigger than the rest?
pdaaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
IndyCat
Thunderian Commoner
I have a few problems myself.

1. Mumm-ra: I really dont like the new look of mumm-ra. His long arms and hands make him look like a gorilla. and the size of his torso compaired to his legs is just wierd. he is too top heavy. his waist armor/skirt just makes his hips look to wide. imo, he is an odd looking charactor.

2. DX Lion-O, DX tygra, and the figures that come with the thundertank cycles: The lack of articulation really bothers me. oh and the sword of omens that comes with the DX figure is painted silver. I would like to have the sword, but dont want to pay for the DX figure when the standard figure has all the articulation.

3. Tower of Omens: I really wouldn't call this a playset. I want something the figures can go inside of, like a castle, building, cats lair....Just not feeling a tower with a slide and elevator and a gate/doorway. The cats lair car thing is too gimmicky and ugly. seriously what action figure would want to drive something with a giant cats lair on the back.

that aside. all the other figures are especially amazing. I dont think I could have asked for anything better of the classics. Well Done! I just hope they make a kick ass Mumm-Ra in the classics!

IndyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
Lord Lion O
Thunder Kitty
I think they are all pretty good compared to all their contemporary rivals. If you just squeeze the hands on the figures and squeeze the ends of the thundertank cockpit together they are much improved.
Lord Lion O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Lord Lion O
Thunder Kitty
As far as a play set....it sounds like you guys want something that would have to be in the 79.99 to 99.99 dollar range and their is no way bandai is going to do that without TC being a huge success.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #8
Fuzz
Thunder Kitty
Only issue so far my son has had is with 4" Mumm-Ra. His waist armor and arm-bands just would not stay on. I ended up glueing everything on. He's much happier now.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
snarfsnarf
Thunder Kitty
The Thundertank does have a huge issue with the "canopy". It basically falls off without any trying and so opening it really doesn't happen. I've actually returned the first one I got because it was so bad and thought it was just broke but my second has the same issue and sounds like this is a overall issue.
snarfsnarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
FunderCat
Thunder Kitty
I gotta say that the weapons are the biggest problem for me. The 4'' Lion-O figure can barely hold his sword, and the shield is the same way once you put it on. And the 6'' Mumm-Ra's shield is very loose and all over the place.
FunderCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
dj7000
Thunder Kitty
I hate the poor articulation on cheetara, and the face scans, on some of the figs that hardly look like the characters. Other than that, Im fine with what I've purchased
dj7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
VictoryLiger
Thunder Kitty
I hate the plastic that the weapons are made from. I have been trying for a week to get a bend out of the sword from my 6" Lion-O. I've tried all the tricks that normally work but have had no luck. It'll be straight for a while, but slowly bends back to how it came out of the package. I'm beginning to think that the problem is that the material the sword is made from can't support it's own weight.
VictoryLiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #13
Lord Lion O
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarfsnarf View Post
The Thundertank does have a huge issue with the "canopy". It basically falls off without any trying and so opening it really doesn't happen. I've actually returned the first one I got because it was so bad and thought it was just broke but my second has the same issue and sounds like this is a overall issue.

Just squeeze the ends together and it will be good, mine was great after that
Old 08-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #14
tygra101
Thunder Kitty
i have with the 4 inch figures wiht mun raa wings i dont like how they fold alot
tygra101 is offline   Reply With Quote