TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Toys and Merchandise

View Poll Results: Should the Playset background be bigger?
Yes, it looks to small 2 100.00%
No, that effin rocks! 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2011, 04:02 AM   #1
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
Hello everyone. I was looking to make a custom playset for the Classics line. I just made a playset out of Foam board and decals for my kids to play with their Star Wars figures with, and they love it. The doors open, and there are several rooms.

I wanted to reach out to the board to see if anyone was good with MS paint or other artistic tools to help me design some downloadable and printable decals so that we can all make a Cats Lair at home.

I was thinking about starting smaller, making a Command center with view screen and accessories, have a ready room attached, and possibably an armory that the sword could be displayed in. I'm pretty good that the archicture side of the design, but not the decals.

I'm sure if we all work together we could design something that would rival anything that Bandi could produce, and in a more timely manner.

Let me know what you think.
rchrz60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:52 AM   #2
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
Here is a link to my Flickr account so that you can see the Star Wars Playset and see what I'm talking about. I know it would have to be bigger to accomidate the 8" Thundercats Classics Figures, but I'm hoping we can all figure something out.

Flickr: rchrz60's Photostream
Old 09-16-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
77kustoms
Kustom Kreator
Holy wow! Where did you get the SW stuff?
77kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
I build the playset itself out of foam board, and there is a site online called NiubNiub's universe (google it) where you can download all the decals you want. I just designed it the way I wanted, printed the decals on sticker paper and when crazy. I've actually expanded it since those pictures to include another long bridge, hallway, and a reactor room, which is pretty sweet. Maybe I should post a few updated ones.

See why I want to make one for the TC Classics Line.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
77kustoms
Kustom Kreator
Haha, yes I do! The stuff you have done with it though is pretty outstanding, you should definitely post more pictures!
77kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:50 AM   #6
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
Ok I've reached out to some of my friends on the Replica Prop Forum to see if anyone can help me with this. I'll keep you posted if I have any updates.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:33 AM   #7
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
So far I have not heard back. I'm suprised that there isn't anybody with some Photoshop skills that can help me with this. I have a ton of screen captures that I found online as references, and I think this would be an epic playset. The foam board and decal method is really sturdy and even holds up to my kids playing with it. I'm hoping to get this put together, and I'm tying to make it with interchangable view screens and doors that actually open. I would also like to include a side chamber for the sword of omens and other weapons, and maybe even another chamber to serve as the ready/meeting room with the ThunderCats table as the focal point. Please anyone that wants to help jump in here.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #8
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
I just had someone contact me from the Replica Prop Forum, and he has his own graphic design studio. I'm hoping him and I will start work on these decals so that you can all build your own Cat's Lair, Tower of Omens, etc at home. If this does go through I will also post some instructional videos on how to actually build one, materials, and techniques etc if anyone would be interested. I'm just excited to have a playset that my Classics Figures can tear it up in!!!

ThunderCats Ho!!!!!!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #9
Grimlockisking
Thunder Kitty
I'm soooooooooooo down for this if it all works out
Grimlockisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #10
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
Alright, I've been talking to my buddy Tony who I might have mentioned does graphic design for a living, and it's looking pretty promising that he wants to do this with me. As things start developing I will update, as we are just starting to figure out designs as to what needs to be on the walls, what needs to be static for a seperate build, etc. Please remember this will be from the classic 80's cartoon for the 8" classic figures, so while it will be pretty big, IT'S GONNA BE HUGE!!!! lol.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #11
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
Trouble in Thundera, Tony just dropped out. He said that he has too much going on with his schedule to committ to something like this right now. This sucks! I'm going to try and do it myself, but I am really not that familar with Photoshop or anything, so I'm still looking for any assistance. Sorry guys, I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:59 AM   #12
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
Ok, So I'm tired of waiting around for someone to help me, and I wanted to get started on this before the next wave of Classics figures hit the shelves. I just started working on the Control Room View Screen wall, and I'm also new at this so please bare with me. This is just the start. The screens will be interchangeable, and the computers will all be 3d in nature, meaning they will actually stick out from the wall, but this will give you a rough idea of what I'm working with.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:02 AM   #13
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
Once completed I'll be able to print these directly onto lable or sticker paper and apply them to the foam board to actually build the 3D playset. I will also be adding chairs, and other computers to the room. I will try to make this as true and real to the 80's show as possible. I don't have a lot of images to go off of, so what ever I'm missing I will have to draw up myself and try to blend in. This picture originally had Panthro sitting in a chair at the main computer but I was able to photo shop him out, not that I don't love Panthro, but I'm hoping I'll actually have a Panthro figure sitting in a real chair at that spot eventually. I'll keep posting if you keep reading.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:50 AM   #14
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
Alright, so I have a few "test" pages printed using 11"x 8" paper. I've split it up two different ways to help determine what looks best with the size of the figure. Again these are test pages, and I'm sure I'll be tweeking the colors and quality overall, but this will at least give me an idea of size. I'll have some pics up later today with a floor and Background for you all to see and judge, so please stay tuned.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #15
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
Alright everyone, moving forward with this, and I have some pictures to prove it. Now keep in mind that this are just rough outs, meaning I needed to establish a baseline for printing out the right size. As it is I'm not to sure about it, I'm wondering if it needs to be a little bigger. You can at least get an idea and see the floor design that I made. Of course the final or real deal will be three dimensional with computers and chairs, wall beams, etc. Again this is just to help me establish the right scale compared to the figures, hope you like the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110923_082925.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	736Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110923_083105.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	737Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110923_083127.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	738Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110923_083205.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	739
Old 09-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #16
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
Ok, still no votes on this one. Suprised. I thought once I put pictures up someone would be all over this.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #17
Saint Phe
Thunder Kitty
I think it looks epic! I'm just not into the giant Classic figures.
Saint Phe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #18
curtis
Thunder Kitty
i like it and plan to get it soon to add to my thundercats 2k11 collection of 4inch figures. im gettin the thundertank tommorow, i wanted to get all the figures first and i have done so except. i dont have 4inch deluxe mumm-ra and wont be gettin him. i have the far better 6inch mumm-ra who scales in size well with the 4inch collection. hes supposed to be much larger than the thundercats in his everliving form. i am also not gettin the thunder racers or deluxe tygra and deluxe lion-o. this tower of omens playset ive heard some bad stuff about it falls apart and can break easy. also its not colored the right way in the cartoon its white and blue but the toyset is brown and blue? still ive heard more good than bad and i want it anyway so for 40 bucks yeah im all for it and may have to customize it to show accuracy. it will make a nice display with my thundercats and thundertank.

Last edited by curtis; 09-25-2011 at 05:50 PM..
curtis is offline   Reply With Quote