TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > WilyKit's Corner - Thundercats Creative > Thundercats Customs Projects

Old 08-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
>EXO<
Thunder Kitty
I guess I'm unhappy as everyone else with the swords that came with the Classic figure, so I decided to make my own

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 15, 4 38 51 PM (Small).jpg
Views:	24
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	717

Last edited by >EXO<; 09-15-2011 at 07:34 PM..
>EXO< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
Joe Moore
Administrator
I can't wait to see the finished sword.
Joe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:31 AM   #3
>EXO<
Thunder Kitty
Should be in next week! I'll put up pics.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
Joe Moore
Administrator
Awesome!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
Saint Phe
Thunder Kitty
I'm really looking forward to seeing it, too!
Saint Phe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
ssjgoku72000
Thunder Kitty
I'd pay to get that version of the sword too....
ssjgoku72000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
Kregermeister
RANKINBASS!
Now make that adult size
Kregermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
>EXO<
Thunder Kitty
Ha! I wish... I can really use some sight beyond sight!

I can't wait for tonight's new episode!
Old 09-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
Michael'O
Thunder Kitty
Are these going to be able for sale in the 4" scale, and if so how much would you want for one.
Michael'O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
crackus
Thunder Puss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael'O View Post
Are these going to be able for sale in the 4" scale, and if so how much would you want for one.
I'd buy one as well.. if you could make for the 4" one
crackus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #11
Devinebull1978
Thunder Kitty
Guys go to this website and check out a custom steel 1:1 replica of the Sword of Omens

TNGprops - products - Thundercats Sword

Also has He-mans sword for all you Motu fans.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sword.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	676Click image for larger version

Name:	Heman.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	677

Last edited by Devinebull1978; 09-11-2011 at 05:50 PM..
Devinebull1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
>EXO<
Thunder Kitty
Finally arrived. I ordered the non polished version so I can get them quicker in anticipation of changes. They look pretty good but I'm gonna need some final tweaks. Some adjustments I made:

-stem thinner so his eyes can see thru during sight beyond site. Even though he can't hold the sword to his face. That picture is a cheat.

-hilt is thicker on smaller swords so he can grip it better.

-of course, sturdier material.

now for pics...

I added the middle sword so he can do sight beyond sight with the smaller sword but then I thought, why not make it a tad taller so he can do the Thundercats HO! poses...

I'm going to make these available at Shapeways as soon as I tweak them to perfection.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #13
>EXO<
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackus View Post
I'd buy one as well.. if you could make for the 4" one

I can scale it down. What's the diameter of the grip on the 4" figures?
Old 09-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
Joe Moore
Administrator
Wow, that looks really good. Nice work.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
Saint Phe
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by >EXO< View Post
Quick! Somebody get this man an accurate measurement! I wish to give him my money!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #16
77kustoms
Kustom Kreator
Im in! They look great! Will unpainted be a purchase option?
77kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:09 AM   #17
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
I'd buy a painted set for the classics line. Let me know when they are good to go, I'd love to see a polished set the the SDCC version but with better detail like hilt jewels and coloring.
rchrz60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #18
Saint Phe
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Okay, I did the best I could. The diameter of the grip on the 4" Lion-O's right hand is about 1/8". The thickest part of the Sword's hilt is about the same.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #19
soundwave810
Thunder Kitty
Very nice! I especially like that you made an in between sword. I'd buy them in 4" and 8" scale.
soundwave810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #20
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
Do we have any updates on this one? Mass productions, or how you will be offereing? Will these be available painted and unpainted?
Old 09-20-2011, 02:10 AM   #21
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
I just thought of another question for you, or anyone else that wants to answer for that matter. I was wondering if anyone had plans on making or offering a Sword of Omens stand, like the one offered with the SDCC Lion-O? I would love to have one with my figure, but I cannot afford the $75 and up price tag, besides I actually like the normal paint colors as opposed to the SDCC metallic color.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:13 AM   #22
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
Quote:
I guess I'm unhappy as everyone else with the swords that came with the Classic figure, so I decided to make my own

Hey I just noticed that the Eye of Thundera seems to be open more on your middle or transition sword, did it turn out that way on the actual piece or just the drawing? I'm still really excited about these as I think they are better than what is offered.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:51 AM   #23
>EXO<
Thunder Kitty
Hi rchrz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchrz60 View Post
Do we have any updates on this one? Mass productions, or how you will be offereing? Will these be available painted and unpainted?
These will be offered at my shapeways store that I'm just about to open. I have just uploaded the changes but wanted to order the set again to make sure it was done correctly before I open up the items for purchase. I would hate to have people receive them and then not be satisfied. The swords fit Lion-Os hand perfectly or as good as the factory toy, but my main concern was to make sure that the small sword fit in the Thunderclaw. I'll update this thread ASAP as soon as it's tested.

These will be unpainted because they will be coming directly from Shapeways and not me. I'll be posting instructions on how to apply color. I did as you can see from the pics raised or cut into the plastic so you can easily paint in the symbol or the eye.

Quote:
I just thought of another question for you, or anyone else that wants to answer for that matter. I was wondering if anyone had plans on making or offering a Sword of Omens stand, like the one offered with the SDCC Lion-O? I would love to have one with my figure, but I cannot afford the $75 and up price tag, besides I actually like the normal paint colors as opposed to the SDCC metallic color.
Funny you ask... I'm actually working on the stands seen in the cartoon. From what I can tell there's three versions. One that was in the escape ship from Thundera, one in the sword display room next to the Cat's lair control room (SDCC version) and then there's a small stand next to Lion-Os bed.

I was planning on making them for myself but if people are interested, I'll gladly upload it to Shapeways also. I'm not sure on the costs yet. I'd hate to give an estimate and be way off.

What I really want to make is a samoflange!

Quote:
Hey I just noticed that the Eye of Thundera seems to be open more on your middle or transition sword, did it turn out that way on the actual piece or just the drawing? I'm still really excited about these as I think they are better than what is offered.
The eye is more open by design. I tried to make the middle sword as different as possible so it'll be worth it for me to have. That's why I made it a bit longer also.

I'm so happy that they finally made an awesome version of Lion-O that I wanted to make sure the quality of the items I want to add is up to par. hopefully....

I haven't had time to get Tygra... he looks great also. I can't wait for the rest of the gang. I'm hoping Cheetara is next.

Last edited by >EXO<; 09-20-2011 at 07:56 AM..
Old 09-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #24
IndyCat
Thunderian Commoner
I'm in. where do I order?
IndyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:22 AM   #25
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
Quote:
Hi rchrz!

These will be offered at my shapeways store that I'm just about to open. I have just uploaded the changes but wanted to order the set again to make sure it was done correctly before I open up the items for purchase. I would hate to have people receive them and then not be satisfied. The swords fit Lion-Os hand perfectly or as good as the factory toy, but my main concern was to make sure that the small sword fit in the Thunderclaw. I'll update this thread ASAP as soon as it's tested.

These will be unpainted because they will be coming directly from Shapeways and not me. I'll be posting instructions on how to apply color. I did as you can see from the pics raised or cut into the plastic so you can easily paint in the symbol or the eye.

Funny you ask... I'm actually working on the stands seen in the cartoon. From what I can tell there's three versions. One that was in the escape ship from Thundera, one in the sword display room next to the Cat's lair control room (SDCC version) and then there's a small stand next to Lion-Os bed.

I was planning on making them for myself but if people are interested, I'll gladly upload it to Shapeways also. I'm not sure on the costs yet. I'd hate to give an estimate and be way off.

What I really want to make is a samoflange!

The eye is more open by design. I tried to make the middle sword as different as possible so it'll be worth it for me to have. That's why I made it a bit longer also.

I'm so happy that they finally made an awesome version of Lion-O that I wanted to make sure the quality of the items I want to add is up to par. hopefully....

I haven't had time to get Tygra... he looks great also. I can't wait for the rest of the gang. I'm hoping Cheetara is next.
Thanks for getting back to me. I'm really excited now, especially about the middle sword you made. I like the fact that the eye is open more, it adds to the transition effect when his is calling the other ThunderCats.

You can also expect me to be picking up some stands, as I am trying to make a Playset for the 8" line and will need all the accessories I can get.

Will you be selling Samoflanges? LOL
Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #26
>EXO<
Thunder Kitty
Got a message that the prototype pieces are in production... hope to get them by the end of the week or early next week.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #27
IndyCat
Thunderian Commoner
Tell them to hurry. I have monies I want to give you
Old 09-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #28
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
I love that people have their wallet open to you. Must mean you're making a good product. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:50 AM   #29
Cat's Pajamas
Thunderian Commoner
Can it be cast in translucent red? That way, once everything else is painted you get an Eye of Thundera that will seem to light up, depending on how light hits it.

Last edited by Cat's Pajamas; 09-22-2011 at 09:27 PM..
Cat's Pajamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #30
Thunderandreams
Thunder Kitty
Can you already post a link to your Shapeways store?

Also, 4 and 6 inch scale would be great too

Thanks,

Johan
Thunderandreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #31
>EXO<
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderandreams View Post
Can you already post a link to your Shapeways store?

Also, 4 and 6 inch scale would be great too

Thanks,

Johan
Sure thing... There's not much up on the store yet. I guess I can put up the big sword by itself because the only one I'm not sure about is the small sword. I'll try to upload that this weekend.

I'll try to scale down the swords but I can't guarantee fit because I'm only collecting the Classics for now. The toys for the new cartoon, as much as I love the show will be a can of worms for me. Also I'll need some sort of measurement for the 6" grip. I think I got the 4" measurments already though I think I need an idea of what the length of the sword should be.

Here's the link to the store. I only have Macross items there for now.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/exodigital

Last edited by >EXO<; 09-23-2011 at 02:09 PM..
Old 09-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #32
>EXO<
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat's Pajamas View Post
Can it be cast in translucent red? That way, once everything else is painted you get an Eye of Thundera that will seem to light up, depending on how light hits it.
I wish I could. Unfortunately, I can only offer what material Shapeways has in stock. Sorry.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #33
ichnusa
Thunder Kitty
hi, i joining the other ones to tell you how impressive is your work.
and i'm also interrested in getting one of your sword of omens in it different forms.
i've noticed one thing in your sword:

is your hilt is a litle much thick, don't you think?

Last edited by ichnusa; 09-25-2011 at 12:23 PM..
ichnusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:41 AM   #34
>EXO<
Thunder Kitty
Hi ichnusa... that's actually the most important tweak I made and why I sent for the new prototypes. I'll post pics of the render tomorrow when I'm near my other computer.

I haven't put up the sword on the store yet because I haven't been able to get near my other computer that has all the files. Also, I was hoping the protos would arrive. I'll update as soon as the prototypes gets sent and I get shipping confirmation. Then I can post pics of those also to show people what they will be getting.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:18 AM   #35
ichnusa
Thunder Kitty
ok thanks for the response, don't put yourself too much pressure, we'll be waiting for your ultimate masterpiece
thanks
Old 09-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #36
Scelestus Unus
Thunder Kitty
If you get this worked out then I will be buying them for sure. Possibly more than one set, as I was hoping to do a repaint of the Classics Lion-O in original toy colors.

Great work.

Also, would like to mention that I have a huge interest in the stands as well.

Last edited by Scelestus Unus; 09-27-2011 at 12:52 PM..
Scelestus Unus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #37
Scelestus Unus
Thunder Kitty
I hate to be an Emrick and ask too many questions, but any updates?
Old 10-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #38
>EXO<
Thunder Kitty
What's an Emrick? lol.

I've uploaded the swords a while back but they returned with this message that it was unprintable... which was weird because it's the same exact models that I ordered from them for my updated prototypes which I still haven't recieved. They sent me a message about having a backlog. I figured out the problem, which wasn't model related... it was more of a file creation issue.

in case you guys are wondering here's a screen shot of the updated hilt...

Concerning the people that want swords for the smaller figs... Did you want this 80s model or the new cartoon model? I can easily scale it down but if it's an issue with the floppiness I'd like to know.

Also, I'll be away for the remainder of this week and early next. I can browse the forums with my phone but I mght not be able to reply, so if you send me a PM I might not get to it as quickly as I'd like. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #39
Saint Phe
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
What's an Emrick? lol.

I've uploaded the swords a while back but they returned with this message that it was unprintable... which was weird because it's the same exact models that I ordered from them for my updated prototypes which I still haven't recieved. They sent me a message about having a backlog. I figured out the problem, which wasn't model related... it was more of a file creation issue.

Concerning the people that want swords for the smaller figs... Did you want this 80s model or the new cartoon model? I can easily scale it down but if it's an issue with the floppiness I'd like to know.

Also, I'll be away for the remainder of this week and early next. I can browse the forums with my phone but I mght not be able to reply, so if you send me a PM I might not get to it as quickly as I'd like. Thanks!
I would love to have a scaled down set for the smaller figures. It does not matter to me whether they are the classic or modern set. Just whatever is easier and faster for you. And yes, floppiness is the reason I am not satisfied with the ones I already have.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:29 AM   #40
soundwave810
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
What's an Emrick? lol.

I'd like the smaller sword for the new cartoon model.
soundwave810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #41
ichnusa
Thunder Kitty
your hilt is very nice, god job

i would like the 8" set
Old 10-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #42
Scelestus Unus
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
What's an Emrick? lol.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #43
ichnusa
Thunder Kitty
>EXO<, could you tell me concerning shapeways, what kind of material could make the sword enoughly strong to not be loose as the basic classic one and enoughly "slick" to match a sword steel
thanks
Old 10-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #44
Thunderandreams
Thunder Kitty
Are the ones on shapeways now for the 4, 6 or 8 inch line?

Tnx,

Johan
Thunderandreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #45
>EXO<
Thunder Kitty
Oh man! VEGAS!! Just got back last nite from my buddy's wedding and I'm thoroughly exhausted. But it was great because my friend the groom, the best man and I are all toy nerds that make stuff for Shapeways and we were talking about the swords and one suggested that I split up the sword into 2 materials. I think it was Cat's pajamas that suggested I make the swords tranclucent and it can be bought in FD/FUD (Frosted Detail or Ultra Detail) which is somewhat tranclucent. But what I'm gonna do is put up the sword with a hole for the Eye of thundera as an option. And I'll make that a seperate piece. I'm not sure yet how this will affect the price but I'll do my best to keep it the same. They do charge a start up cost per material... that isn't my choice. But I'll make sure I keep every option possible so you can all decide for yourselves.

As far as materials, they are all sandable to be smooth and paintable. Though some materials need extra cleaning for painting. WSF is also really dyable using RIT clothes dye. I'll put up links for that later.

My preffered materials are
WSF (white strong and flexible) - a nylon type material that is really strong, you can still break it by force but it can retain it's shape and resist a good amount of heat.

WFSP (polished vesrion of WSF) - this is my favorite. A polished version of WSF but it does lose a small amount of detail due to polishing process.

WSF + color - a dyed version of WSF... not available in polished

FUD - Frosted Ultra detail... I really like this material because of all the detail it can produce, but they just raised the price and it was already more expensive to begin with but for small statues this is what I get and it's really worth it. FD is the less detailed version.

Metals... don't know about these... too expensive for me.

The ones there now are for the 8 inches. I made a few minor changes last night for those and uploaded them to the store because I got the protos while I was gone. I also bought the 4 and 6 inch versions of Lion at a Walmart in Vegas... so I'll make those adjustments tonight... ugh. Couldn't resist.

New pictures up soon.

I'm going to make final adjustments tonight hopefully I'll be done tomorrow if not the next day.

I hope I replied to all inquiries, if not hit me up. I should be around the next few days.

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #46
ichnusa
Thunder Kitty
oh man you're the god of the omens' swordcrafters !
send a picture of your sword to bandain, they should be ashaimed for the work they did on their on, thanks for all !
Old 10-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #47
>EXO<
Thunder Kitty
just an update. Been working on this all weekend. shapeways has keeps giving me an upload error... I keep checking it and I can't find anything wrong with the file...
I'll keep on it.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #48
>EXO<
Thunder Kitty
Hi guys... swords are finally up. Be careful of which ones to click on because there's a lot more than I planned on putting up.

8" scale long form sword only
8" line Sword of O (full form only) by exodigital on Shapeways

8" scale 3 sword set
8" line Sword of O (all three forms) by exodigital on Shapeways

8" scale 3 sword set w/o eye
8" scale figure Sword of O (all form w/o eye) by exodigital on Shapeways
the set of eyes
8" figure line eye assembly by exodigital on Shapeways
These are only available in a aset of 3 because the eyes maybe too small for just one set and could get lost, so I put them in sprues

Long Swords in all 3 scales
3 scales Sword of O (full for only) by exodigital on Shapeways

4" scale long sword
4" scale Sword of O (full form only) by exodigital on Shapeways

6" scale long sword
6" scale Sword of O (full form only) by exodigital on Shapeways

I set the default to the material White Strong Flexible and Polished because that's the material I tested and recommend. As a note, the polishing feature does rub off a minute amount of detail but the flat surfaces are smoother.

There are other materials (and colors) that people may want like the semi transparent ones (there are no true clear materials on Shapeways). I've never ordered metals from Shapeways... way too expensive for me.

For the eye set for the swords without eyes, I made frosted ultra detail the default, but I guess maybe the red WSF can be used because it's already red. FUD has really good sharp detail though.

Of course these print outs may need cleaning and sanding to take off build materials.

I've tested these items as you know, but I can't test them in every material. they do have a really good forum where you can research things more if you feel like finding out more about the material before you buy.

Thanks.

Last edited by >EXO<; 10-19-2011 at 03:34 PM..
Old 10-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #49
IndyCat
Thunderian Commoner
very cool.

WHos going to be the first to get it in Silver! HA
Old 10-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #50
>EXO<
Thunder Kitty
LOl. I saw that too! The thing is I would only get it in Silver Glossy if I could. Regular Silver is pocked marked.
I don't think anyone will get it but I left the option up just in case...