TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats News and Rumors

Old 11-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Balgus82
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
courtesy of mtvgeek
http://geek-news.mtv.com/2011/11/15/...ith-interview/
Balgus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Joe Moore
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balgus82 View Post
Thanks for pointing this out. New toys! Yay!
Joe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
Balgus82
my thoughts:
Tygra and Cheetara look awesome. so glad they corrected the peg colors. Don't really care for angry face on Lion-O. and I hope Mumm-Ra will come with his cape cause his arms look smaller somehow without it
Old 11-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Everything looks great. Sucks that the 8" figures are carrying on at a "limited capacity". Looks like I'll be skipping over Tygra, and getting the 6" figures instead. Though I'm not sure what I'll do with my 8" Lion-O now... Mumm-Ra looks great, as does Lion-O (even with that facial expression). Can't wait to see how the others turn out.

Cheetara and Tygra look great. I had decided to just skip most of the modern figures, but these two might have changed my mind, lol. I might just go pick-up Lion-O, Panthro, and Mumm-Ra before they disappear from store shelves. Should be interesting to see how the kittens turn out, and to see who else is coming down the pipeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balgus82 View Post
so glad they corrected the peg colors.
I wouldn't count on that staying true for the production toys. If I'm not mistaken, we got picture similar to these of the first wave stuff that had the correctly colored pegs, while the actual production toys had the black ones.

Edit:Now that I've read through the highlights, lol...

Quote:
The 6" Thundercats 2011 line will feature variants and repaints based on changing appearances in the show
I think this most definitely means that other versions of Lion-O are on the way, so I'll be skipping his first figure. I just hope that it also means we'll get an accurate Panthro figure at some point. That way all I'll have to worry about getting is Mumm-Ra, who I guess could also be getting an upgrade sometime in the future (maybe with wings?).

Last edited by Ravenxl7; 11-15-2011 at 02:58 PM..
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
Joe Moore
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenxl7 View Post
I wouldn't count on that staying true for the production toys. If I'm not mistaken, we got picture similar to these of the first wave stuff that had the correctly colored pegs, while the actual production toys had the black ones.
We may actually have some hope here. when asked in the interview about that exact problem, they responded with this:

Quote:
We have taken measures on our 6” line to correct just those issues.
Fingers crossed that this is true.
Joe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
printer6
Slippery character
Mumm-Ra looks pretty good, but the angry face on Lion-O... not so sure about that one. If they're switching to 6" scale, I'll most likely get it till something better comes along at this size.
printer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
Lody
The ORIGINAL Thundercat
Really don't need an angry Lion-o

Would be nice to get a better articulated Wily Kit and Kat though
Lody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
eero
"ero" with an extra "e"
Nice to finally have some news regarding the Classics changes. I think the switch to 6" is bad move. Lion-O, in particular his glove, looks soft now. And that face sculpt is bad. I would find it hard to buy another classic Lion-O when I already have the 8" and I know I'd need to get the 6" version when he comes with a normal face.
eero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Moore View Post
We may actually have some hope here. when asked in the interview about that exact problem, they responded with this:

Fingers crossed that this is true.
That's really good news, but till we see some absolute proof that they've corrected that issue, I'll assume it could go either way for now (don't want to get my hopes up).

Also, since they're doing a Lion-O v2 and Panthro v2 for the 4" line, I'm thinking I might wait to see if they do the same for the 6" line too (maybe have Panthro correctly colored, and Lion-O with the addition of the crystals to the shield?).
Old 11-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
Mintcondition
Thunder Kitty
Considering BBTS has them listed as a release of November 2011, I wouldn't be surprised to see them before Christmas.

I hope so, at least. I want these sooooo bad.

Oh, and they better make a 6 inch Tygra soon. Because, if I have to buy an all new Lion-O I need an all new Tygra.
Mintcondition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
Mintcondition
Thunder Kitty
And I actually like the angry face on Lion-O. I know a lot of people complained about the 8 inch Lion-O's very plain face, so I'm sure all those same people will complain about this new face as well.
Mintcondition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #12
destiny13777
Thunder Kitty
Lion-o seems to have only a single jointed elbow that can't bend all the way so his arms will always be bent, besides that I'm loving all these figures.
destiny13777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
nomad16
Thundarian
great figures the new series tygra and cheetara look amazing the likenesses are perfect. Although I dont collect them their great. I hope will see some new 45 in ch figures come out soon!
nomad16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #14
Autotrooper
Banned
Tygra and Cheetara look awesome!! I'm glad I skipped on the 4 inch ones. Now bring on the twins!
Autotrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #15
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny13777 View Post
Lion-o seems to have only a single jointed elbow that can't bend all the way so his arms will always be bent...
I think it's just the way they posed him. They put the 8" Lion-O in the same pose for it's image like that, and it's elbow's aren't hindered.

I just hope that the sword isn't as flimsy as the 8" figure's is.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #16
dollman ron
Disabled and handling it.
I will keep my fingers crossed for more 8" figures in whatever way they're planning.
As for the bendy sword, I've found later releases of the 8" Lion-O figure's swords don't have that problem. Found out because my cat (not funny) chewed the end off my first Lion-O's sword.
dollman ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:24 PM   #17
stcardinal
Thunder Kitty
Really? They fixed the sword? Can anyone confirm this?
stcardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #18
eero
"ero" with an extra "e"
Man ... looking at that new 6" Lion-O head again ... I'm just laughing. Thanks for making it a little easier, Bandai. That thing is just ridiculous.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #19
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollman ron View Post
As for the bendy sword, I've found later releases of the 8" Lion-O figure's swords don't have that problem. Found out because my cat (not funny) chewed the end off my first Lion-O's sword.
That would have been nice, but oh well. I'll probably just put my 8" Lion-O back into his packaging and display him like that, and then get the 6" Classics to take out and display on a shelf. They'll go much better with other 6" figures, and the smaller scale will hopefully mean more character variety (especially when it comes to villains).
Old 11-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #20
>EXO<
Thunder Kitty
Gah. Do not like that roaring face. I'll wait for a rerelease with the regular face if they do it. Mumm-Ra looks great.

I hope they don't redo Tygra like the 8". He was way too lack luster.
>EXO< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #21
Tracer
Thunderian Commoner
The new figures look great, especially the ones from the 2011 line. The only downside is the roaring head for me but I can live with it. I'm so glad that they went with 6" classic figures. I'm definitely in for the long haul now.
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #22
eero
"ero" with an extra "e"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
The new figures look great, especially the ones from the 2011 line. The only downside is the roaring head for me but I can live with it. I'm so glad that they went with 6" classic figures. I'm definitely in for the long haul now.
Until they change it to 7" ...
Old 11-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #23
McSoundwave
Thundercat Ho
Sigh.

That new Lion-O face is thunder-thunder-thundercat hooooribbbbllllle!!!!! Mumm-ra, however, looks fantastic. Are they still releasing these as a two-pack? I just want Mumm-ra and don't want to have to waste any extra money on that wack ass, vertically challenged and obviously disgruntled because Bandai shrunk him, poor excuse for Lion-o. Single packs please!

Last edited by McSoundwave; 11-15-2011 at 07:33 PM..
McSoundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #24
ichnusa
Thunder Kitty
those new figures are shown a month before Christmas, funny isn't it ?

mumm ra looks very great, but i feels like it miss something, the cape and i think he's too much smooth, i would prefer him much rough less plastic like

lion-o is now known for me as the ugly face, why don't they gave him an additional face that you could change whenever you want ? i understand those who don(t liked the old one who looked like a mediating one, but i like it
he looks like to have the same sculpt than the 8" but if you look closer to the neck now has only one joint, he can't look up and down any more .
the torso seems less detailed and like mumm ra, a little too smooth

picture makes ugly face a little blurry

my point is that they scaled down the figure, but the price may be not down enough for my taste, above all if the figure is getting ugly, and poor quality
lets say that this lion-o comes in Thundercats 2011 6" Classic Collector Figure Series 01 - Set of Lion-O & Mumm-Ra at $31.99 so it's about $15.99 each one
the ThunderCats Classic 8 inch Figure - Lion-O comes at $19.99, you save 4$ but you loose more quality, so i will skip those ones

otherwise i understand that the 6" scale is much more playable, but my 8" lion-o is proudly shown on my desk, like the mighty lord of the thundercats he is,and the ugly face one will never be

Last edited by ichnusa; 11-15-2011 at 08:01 PM..
ichnusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #25
Pravus Prime
Ancient Spirit of Evil
Want Classic Mumm-Ra Nao!!!

Beautiful. If the Shendyt has a cut seam so leg movement is unrestricted, then I dare say perfect.

As for the others, not really sold on Lion-O's roaring face, and the Modern figures look very nice.
Pravus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #26
egoing
Thunder Kitty
This was a smart move by Bandai to attract kids to both lines at retail. Yes, they retooled the sculpt, but it seems to keep everything except the upward range of motion at the neck. I read when the PR went out for these, the outcry from fans was why the extreme 8" and not 6", well this has been remedied for fans to display the figures with MOTUC and Marvel Legends etc.
egoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #27
Jackalman
furious laughter
it looks like they removed the mid-torse articulation which is a bummer. or will it be included and these are just the test shots?
Jackalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #28
User897
Ancient Spirit of Evil
Lion-O looks like shit. Period. I don't see how they could have actually let that face sculpt pass. Mumm-Ra does look good, but he feels incomplete without his cape. Bandai are shooting themselves in the foot with the scale change. And you can bet with the "limited" release of future 8" figures will come a premium price. I was starting to like the 4" figures I have, and the 8" ones are neat on their own, but now it's like Bandai is favoring 6" for BOTH series and the 4" will suffer. With that comes a lack of vehicles and playsets as well. I am willing to "hang in there" and see just exactly what Bandai has up their sleeve, but I'm not liking how they have shit on the 8" and there is NO information on the 4".

*Fingers crossed*
User897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:34 PM   #29
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalman View Post
it looks like they removed the mid-torse articulation which is a bummer. or will it be included and these are just the test shots?
I'm pretty sure it's still there. If not, than his torso is oddly sculpted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by User897 View Post
Lion-O looks like shit. Period. I don't see how they could have actually let that face sculpt pass. Mumm-Ra does look good, but he feels incomplete without his cape. Bandai are shooting themselves in the foot with the scale change. And you can bet with the "limited" release of future 8" figures will come a premium price. I was starting to like the 4" figures I have, and the 8" ones are neat on their own, but now it's like Bandai is favoring 6" for BOTH series and the 4" will suffer. With that comes a lack of vehicles and playsets as well. I am willing to "hang in there" and see just exactly what Bandai has up their sleeve, but I'm not liking how they have shit on the 8" and there is NO information on the 4".

*Fingers crossed*
Have...you seen the listings for the 4" figures coming out next year? Just because they didn't show any in this one interview doesn't mean they've forgotten about them.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:50 AM   #30
User897
Ancient Spirit of Evil
I'm aware of that. I just don't like how the focus of the article is on the new (for Classics) size they want to peddle. I am entitled to that.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:43 AM   #31
GK Punk
Your Straight Edge Savior
No twins, no care :x
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:05 AM   #32
TheCopperkid
Thunder Kitty
Why do people act like being the same size as motuc and marvel legends is a big deal? If that is true threats retarded, current toys have always had different scales, why should anyone care if liono is the same height as heman? Who says heman is 6 foot and liono isn't 8 feet tall? Why do people get so mad and feel like they are owed something by these properties? Relax and enjoy the show and the toys, the ride is going to be over before we know it.
TheCopperkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:39 AM   #33
Pravus Prime
Ancient Spirit of Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalman View Post
I'm about 95% sure that 6 inch Classic Lion-O still has the mid-torso point. If Mumm-Ra does (which is highly dubious), it's very well hidden in the pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by User897 View Post
I was starting to like the 4" figures I have, and the 8" ones are neat on their own, but now it's like Bandai is favoring 6" for BOTH series and the 4" will suffer. With that comes a lack of vehicles and playsets as well. I am willing to "hang in there" and see just exactly what Bandai has up their sleeve, but I'm not liking how they have shit on the 8" and there is NO information on the 4".

*Fingers crossed*
That's because from their perspective, that's the line(s) they have to push to the collector community. They've said numerous times from the get-go, they see the 6 and 8 inch lines as being for the adult collector and the 4 inch line is for the kids. They know there's crossover, but that's where they aim the lines. The article wasn't about all upcoming products, it was about what's going on with the 8 inch line and to incent classic and modern 6 inch buying adult collectors with the new pictures and information.
Pravus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:49 AM   #34
Scelestus Unus
Thunder Kitty
One other thing I noticed is that the wrists look like single pegs now instead of the Revoltech-esque ones of the previos Classics figure. Don't really mind though, as I always feel like I'm going to break the peg when switching out the hands.

I don't mind the new head. He never really made faces like that very often in the cartoon, but it looks like something right out of the Wildstorm comics. I already painted my other Lion-O to be more cartoon acurate, so maybe I'll leave this one alone and call it my comic book version.

Also just noticed by zooming into the picture that the top torso piece looks to be sculpted into the figure as opposed to the 8 inch figure that had it as a seperate piece, that is worn on the figure like a vest. Depending on how big a gap there is between the upper and lower torso pieces, this may hinder the articulation there a bit.

One last edit... I know that the scales are different and that the two pictures weren't taken at the exact depth/angle, but it looks like the short form sword has a longer handle with a shorter hilt than the previous version.

Last edited by Scelestus Unus; 11-16-2011 at 05:59 AM..
Scelestus Unus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #35
englishw
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stcardinal View Post
Really? They fixed the sword? Can anyone confirm this?
I have the same question... are all 2011 8" Classic Lion-O swords the same or did they change the sword when they did the named packaging variant? I've left mine in package because of the sword issue, but I would go buy another one to display is the sword is better.

Thanks!
englishw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #36
Icespark
Thunder Kitty
I'm really happy to see we'll be getting more figures!

I'm kind of sorry to see the eight inch line ending; it would have been fun to have Thundercats figures in scale with my Final Fantasy figures.

They really ought to change the facial expression for the new classics Lion-O; screaming in anger doesn't suit him at all. Also, Mumm-Ra needs his cape.

I suppose now, not being able to find any figures was a blessing in disguise, as I'll now probably go in for both six inch lines, as long as all the characters are made. I hope they announce more characters soon.
Icespark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #37
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icespark View Post
I'm kind of sorry to see the eight inch line ending...
It isn't, it's continuing, just in a "limited capacity".
Old 11-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #38
englishw
Thunderian Commoner
More new toys!!! Look!!!

http://www.thundercats.ws/new-2012-t...as-storm-8001/
englishw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #39
Balgus82
Quote:
Originally Posted by englishw View Post
i was just about to post this lol
Old 11-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #40
lionslayer
Thunder Kitty
I for one welcome a 6 inch scale, it opens up more vehicle and playset possibilities. Remember this is Bandai not Mattel, Bandai is more likely to do stuff like that. Now as far as the angry faces and no cape, im sure thats just for the two pack. Once we get Lion-O and Mummra single carded they will have normal faces. Relax everyone their just toys.
lionslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #41
eero
"ero" with an extra "e"
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslayer View Post
I for one welcome a 6 inch scale, it opens up more vehicle and playset possibilities. Remember this is Bandai not Mattel, Bandai is more likely to do stuff like that. Now as far as the angry faces and no cape, im sure thats just for the two pack. Once we get Lion-O and Mummra single carded they will have normal faces. Relax everyone their just toys.
I think people are more bothered that they're out $40 because they committed to the 8" line thinking that was it. I thought long and hard about buying before I finally did. I made the commitment, and now they've changed.

But you're right, they're just toys. Nothing's owed to us, and their play value (in theory) is not diminished by this announcement, because it's our perspective that's askew. You won't hear me hollering for a refund. Still, I'm not going to buy any more classics. Bandai is a big company. They should have figured out something like scale from the get-go and committed to it, for better or worse.

Eight-inch Lion-O and Tygra are nice figures, but instead of getting a dedicated shelf -- and thus a chunk of my toy budget -- they now go on the randoms and one-offs shelf. And life goes on.

Last edited by eero; 11-16-2011 at 12:48 PM..
Old 11-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #42
Icespark
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenxl7 View Post
It isn't, it's continuing, just in a "limited capacity".
You are correct; I should have read more closely. Thank you!

If I'm (re)reading correctly, there should be a eight inch scale Cheetara figure made, and then what? Will that be the end, or do they plan to make some repaints, ect?

Either way, I hope they post a nice long list. The sooner I have one, the sooner I can budget for them!
Icespark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #43
Jlogano20
Thunder Kitty
wheres the 6 inch (or smaller) twins???
Jlogano20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #44
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
I for one welcome a 6 inch scale, it opens up more vehicle and playset possibilities. Remember this is Bandai not Mattel, Bandai is more likely to do stuff like that.
Good point. Hopefully they do end-up making some additional items to go with the 6" Classics. Especially a Classics styled lair playset.

Quote:
Now as far as the angry faces and no cape, im sure thats just for the two pack. Once we get Lion-O and Mummra single carded they will have normal faces. Relax everyone their just toys.
There is no two-pack. That BBTS listing is for the individual figures bundled together by BBTS themselves (they do it frequently for Transformers). I'm not saying they won't release a normal-faced Lion-O eventually, but the only version currently confirmed for release is the one with the odd expression.

Quote:
You are correct; I should have read more closely. Thank you!
No problem.

Quote:
If I'm (re)reading correctly, there should be a eight inch scale Cheetara figure made, and then what? Will that be the end, or do they plan to make some repaints, ect?
It definitely seems to indicate she's the next on the list. I imagine they'll at least release the main team, if not a Mumm-Ra at some point, but I doubt they'll do much more beyond that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlogano20 View Post
wheres the 6 inch (or smaller) twins???
Last I knew a 2-pack of them for the 6" scale had been confirmed, we just haven't seen it yet.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #45
ThundercatsRules
Thunder Kitty
tygra and cheetara look awesome. i think fans are gonna be happy
ThundercatsRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #46
DecepticonSpike
My Cat Sits On My Head
Loving the Cheetra figure.
DecepticonSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #47
adssse
Thunderian Commoner
Looks like I am in the minority, but I actually dont mind the Lion-O face (although I probably do prefer the straight face).
adssse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #48
Dr Kain
Thunderian Commoner
Tygra and Cheetara are just down right amazing. I cannot wait to get them.

There is something off on Lion-O and Mumm-Ra though. For one thing, I still do not get why they canned the 8inch line and moved to a 6inch line? The least they could do is offer us an exchange program instead of making me buy the same figure again. I also do not like Lion-O screaming face. It just looks off. As for Mumm-Ra, he is awesome, but again, something looks off on him. Hopefully he has his cape. I do not know why, but Bandai keeps cheaping out on Mumm-Ra. They do not give the 6 inch new one his wings and it looks like they are not giving the Classics his cape. Why do they hate Mumm-Ra so much?
Dr Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #49
1987olds442
Thunder Kitty
I hope that the faces on the modern Cheetara and Tygra look as nice as they do in these pictures. The faces have what has stopped me from buying any of the new 6" figures yet. Hopefully with the other improvements mentioned they will update the other figures head sculpts as well. As far as switching the classics line from 8" to 6" I'm glad to hear it, they will look good with the rest of my 6" collection of DC and Marvel figures
1987olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:00 AM   #50
User897
Ancient Spirit of Evil
Except for the horrible Lion-O, I likey what I see so far. I'm still on the fence with the armor. Maybe if Bandai makes the Plun-Darr armor too, it would look better. If an 8" Classic Cheetara becomes reality, I will be very happy.