TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Cartoons

Old 05-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #101
L08e16o
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
Quote:
Originally Posted by monothingie View Post
You're right to point out that it's been poorly executed, because it is. (Even Tygra and Cheetara agree with you) This entire relationship seems designed to be something that is not meant to be.

Look at Pumyra's character in the beginning of this episode, she should be at least a little happy considering the progress that has been made freeing the slaves and what not, but she isn't. She's is still brooding about something. Possibly something that's missing or lost in her life. (Flashback to the cell scene in the Pit). That missing thing could be another person (cough, cough Bengali) who I am betting will make an appearance before the end of the the season.

Right now this entire relationship, (if it is one) is very one-sided, add a lost flame an the entire "problem" goes away.

That or they kill her off.
Well they did say she was leaving. I am fine with Bengali. He will probably be awesome in combat and sweep her off her feet.

Why didn't lion-o do this stuff with cheetara. Oh that is right, the writers didn't want too.

You saw her look at the end of the episode, it was like the same look she gave him when she told him not to get mushy.
L08e16o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #102
SirSapphire
Man of the Stacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by L08e16o View Post
Well they did say she was leaving. I am fine with Bengali. He will probably be awesome in combat and sweep her off her feet..
Except they've said no such thing, they've said that she has several episodes dedicated to her, and that she's sticking around for a bit, but not that they have any concrete plans to remove her from the show or even the core group. The most likely plan is to have her finish out the season and then see how popular she is with the kids and fans before making any more plans for her in a second season.
Bengali hasn't even been mentioned by the crew since initial interviews before the show even aired. Dan even posted old art of him from his comic book pitch as a way to throw the fans a bone because he's just not in this season.

Quote:
Why didn't lion-o do this stuff with cheetara. Oh that is right, the writers didn't want too.
And he didn't know any better. He doesn't want there to be the same confusion he had with Cheetara, and coming out of the trials has a "show, don't tell" personality. Besides, he doesn't think she's the type to talk about feelings. Right or wrong he still owes it to both of them to just ask.

Quote:
You saw her look at the end of the episode, it was like the same look she gave him when she told him not to get mushy.
It's not in any way the same look.

She told him not to get mushy when she was still calling him by title and thought she was just another subject, now she knows that she's more important than that.
SirSapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #103
fuukonomiko
Harbinger of Tiger Doom
Anybody else think the title of the episode is a little foreboding?

Last edited by fuukonomiko; 05-28-2012 at 12:03 AM..
fuukonomiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #104
Singe
Thunderian Commoner
This is all about their revamping Pumyra. She had little use in the original series. Now she stands out past all the others right by Lion-O's side.

She could be set up for something big, like Mumm-ra kidnaps her, she gets taken to the Astral Plane, big sacrifice moment, or she gets killed.

I got one, Mumm-ra with the Ancient Spirits of Evil resurrect Claudis to fight Lion-O. Father tears into son both mentally and physically. Also, he can still use the Sword of Omens. Massive loyalty conflicts between the others on rather to follow Claudis or Lion-O.
Singe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #105
Sining
Thunder Kitty
panthro still >>> pumyra in standing out

And no. WHY would the other cats EVEN consider following claudis. They saw him die, not like Lion-O where they merely saw him fall into the water and not get out. They have to know he's basically an undead or worse. If that happened, it would be massive fail on the writers part.

And if kitkat ain't in this episode, please don't tell me we have another filler episode dedicated to them -_-
Sining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #106
Singe
Thunderian Commoner
Just to remind you that Lion-O also died right before their eyes, Tygra was King, and Lion-O came back from the dead. They continue to follow Lion-O. You don't see Tygra still in charge since Lion-O was legally dead losing his claim to the throne.

Claudis could come back from the dead and reclaim the throne, since Lion-O did it.

Last edited by Singe; 05-28-2012 at 12:28 AM..
Old 05-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #107
vantheman77
Thunder Kitty
With three episodes left, I doubt they'd dedicate another episode to Wilykit, Wilykat, and Snarf. There's not enough time to introduce Bengali either for this season. Put together The Pit, Curse of Ratilla, Birth of the Blades, and this and you have the relationship between Lion-O and Pumyra unfolding. Maybe their relationship has something that Lion-O and Cheetara didn't.
vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:28 AM   #108
SirSapphire
Man of the Stacks
Claudus has no body to revive, Lion-O and the other cats burned it.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #109
Singe
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSapphire View Post
Claudus has no body to revive, Lion-O and the other cats burned it.
With their level of tech and magic, if Mumm-ra still has the dagger then he could make a body clone then summon the spirit back under his control.

There should be some form of Lion-O and Claudis confrontation.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #110
Sining
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singe View Post
Just to remind you that Lion-O also died right before their eyes, Tygra was King, and Lion-O came back from the dead. They continue to follow Lion-O. You don't see Tygra still in charge since Lion-O was legally dead losing his claim to the throne.

Claudis could come back from the dead and reclaim the throne, since Lion-O did it.
You'll notice I've already addressed this in my initial post. Lion-O fell into a river and didn't come up. They never saw him die. WE AS VIEWERS saw him die because we were able to see underwater. Claudis otoh took a dagger/knife to the torso, had a dying moment and then closed his eyes and died. There was still plausible deniability for Lion-Os death, look at how kit was saying over and over again that Lion-O would come for them. Notice how no one does that for Claudis -_-

2ndly, unless Jaga's spirit somehow mysteriously appears in the sky saying 'Oh hey, Claudis? Yeah, he's back', I doubt the cats would be that trusting. But considering how stupid the cats have acted before (and the writing seems to portray them), it may not be too far off the mark
Sining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #111
Grippen
Thunder Kitty
All I know is that this episode was good, lots of action hope it goes on like this
Grippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:07 AM   #112
Mum Star
Thunder Kitty
Maybe not ressurected, but If say Mumm-Ra summoned back Claudis spirit and bound it to serve him. Then Claudis get's sent to fight the Thundercats. That would make a good idea for an episode. Especially if Claudis knows some powers of the Sword of Omens that Lion-O doesn't. "Sword of Omens come to my hand!"
Mum Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #113
AnonymousIncognito
Banned
Quote:
My problem is lion-o can get over a crush that was recent and T/C can't. Makes no sense.

I don't think it's supposed to make sense. I think it's supposed to get the writers at least a B- in their third-grade writing classes.

As much as the saying "First love doesn't always last" is true for L/C it is also true for T/C. Not all first loves/crushes work out or last the test of time.

Who knows, maybe they will shake things up again. MJ did say something about fans will get their due so consider it like this; T/C happened, L/P is happening so following the pattern, L/C should also happen.

We just have to hope MJ and crew remember that there are more fans than just those cliques they are currently pandering to.
AnonymousIncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #114
Jack-Pumpkinhead
Thunderan Thespian
All in all, an OK episode. Not great, but not terrible. I agree with the thought of either be all silly or all serious, cuase the 2 didn't mix well here. And I didn't like Tygra missing half the fight because he was high (I know it's a nod to all the times he got high/addicted on the OS, but come on). Again, an ok episode.
Jack-Pumpkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #115
KaleRylan
Thunder Kitty
Okay, I'm sure others will disagree (I did read some of the posts, but not all three pages), but as far as I'm concerned, THAT is what a Thundercats episode should be.

It was pretty funny and weird - Pumyra's face (hilarious by itself, but I loved that for the first half of the episode, it was just THERE. That was great) Ponzi's potion caused some fun reactions in the townspeople, and then love potion Tygra was pretty hilarious.

It had some of the best fight choreography the series has EVER had - Lion-o flipping about and using the beam in the first godzilla fight, the second fight almost everyone got a chance to shine; lion-o lightning sword, panthro with the tank, etc.

Lion-o gave the battle-cry: I have been waiting for that this whole 'season'

Yeah there was some kind of odd relationship stuff with Lion-o and Pumyra, but I didn't find it as truly frustrating as some of the triangle stuff. Just side-stuff.
KaleRylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #116
Grippen
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleRylan View Post
Okay, I'm sure others will disagree (I did read some of the posts, but not all three pages), but as far as I'm concerned, THAT is what a Thundercats episode should be.

It was pretty funny and weird - Pumyra's face (hilarious by itself, but I loved that for the first half of the episode, it was just THERE. That was great) Ponzi's potion caused some fun reactions in the townspeople, and then love potion Tygra was pretty hilarious.

It had some of the best fight choreography the series has EVER had - Lion-o flipping about and using the beam in the first godzilla fight, the second fight almost everyone got a chance to shine; lion-o lightning sword, panthro with the tank, etc.

Lion-o gave the battle-cry: I have been waiting for that this whole 'season'

Yeah there was some kind of odd relationship stuff with Lion-o and Pumyra, but I didn't find it as truly frustrating as some of the triangle stuff. Just side-stuff.
My thoughts exactly
Grippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #117
L08e16o
Quote:
Except they've said no such thing, they've said that she has several episodes dedicated to her, and that she's sticking around for a bit, but not that they have any concrete plans to remove her from the show or even the core group. The most likely plan is to have her finish out the season and then see how popular she is with the kids and fans before making any more plans for her in a second season.
Bengali hasn't even been mentioned by the crew since initial interviews before the show even aired. Dan even posted old art of him from his comic book pitch as a way to throw the fans a bone because he's just not in this season.

And he didn't know any better. He doesn't want there to be the same confusion he had with Cheetara, and coming out of the trials has a "show, don't tell" personality. Besides, he doesn't think she's the type to talk about feelings. Right or wrong he still owes it to both of them to just ask.

It's not in any way the same look.

She told him not to get mushy when she was still calling him by title and thought she was just another subject, now she knows that she's more important than that.
I don't think she will be with them much longer. She is not a core character.

Second season? They may not get it.

I talking about expression with her right brow.

Last edited by L08e16o; 05-28-2012 at 10:11 AM..
Old 05-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #118
L08e16o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippen View Post
All I know is that this episode was good, lots of action hope it goes on like this
What a stand alone episode?
Old 05-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #119
L08e16o
It seems MJ wants to give a lot of spot light to Tygra and Pumyra since they were cut out of the OS.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #120
NIBMRatchet
Transformers, Baby!
New Lion-O totally did the Original Lion-O opening sequence move. Loved it.

Bit of a cheesy episode. I don't like Lion-O/Pumyra being forced on. Should have happened gradually overtime... NOT within a single episode.

Last edited by NIBMRatchet; 05-28-2012 at 10:57 AM..
NIBMRatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #121
fuukonomiko
Harbinger of Tiger Doom
Quote:
I don't think she will be with them much longer. She is not a core character.

Second season? They may not get it.

I talking about expression with her right brow.
Well, now that she's Lion-O's main squeeze, she might be. Unless they plan to do something with her at the season's end. we won't know until we get there (that's what I keep telling my homey who is NOT the biggest fan of this pair...not because of who she is but because of how they handled it).

Does anyone have news about season 2? Let's just hope that it would be a little more consistent and polished if they do. And if they don't...well....you can always dwell in the fanfic world, some writers there are actually very, very good.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #122
Mum Star
Thunder Kitty
I don't think we're going to have any sort of thing where Bengali shows up and steals Pumrya from Lion-O, and here's why.
1- It's a repeat of Tygra getting Cheetara. I don't think they'd repeat the same thing over again.
2- It makes Pumrya seem like a very awful charecter. She'd have led on Lion-O way worse than Cheetara ever had.
3- It would send the message to the boys that girls will always dump you for Tigers.

If the sword of omens gets broken, then I figure Bengali will show up.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #123
SirSapphire
Man of the Stacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum Star View Post
3- It would send the message to the boys that girls will always dump you for Tigers.
That's a strange and confusing message for the kids, that's for sure. If Bengali does show up maybe Lion-O would feel threatened if Pumyra starts being friendly with him, but I'd think once she realizes that she's tell him that's stupid, Lion-O is the one she wants, pure and simple. That sends the much better message that it's okay if your girlfriend has other guy friends, it doesn't mean she's dumping you.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #124
Eclipse
Witch Doctor
Quote:
I don't think we're going to have any sort of thing where Bengali shows up and steals Pumrya from Lion-O, and here's why.
1- It's a repeat of Tygra getting Cheetara. I don't think they'd repeat the same thing over again.
2- It makes Pumrya seem like a very awful charecter. She'd have led on Lion-O way worse than Cheetara ever had.
lmao
There aren't many tigers going to school, so my guess is boys around the world needn't worry about that

Quote:
If that were to happen I'd prefer for Hattanzo to show up and fix it. That was his trade after all, Bengali could come along with him as an apprentice: it's not that I don't like the tiger, but I'd much rather see the Drifter again.
Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #125
nickanu
Thunder Kitty
I just feel that Lion-o grabbing at whatever female cat is around him, regardless of who it is. With him quickly jumping from one to another it just makes it seem like little crushes and are not to be taken to seriously.
Another thing I feel that love should not be such a focus on this series at this point in time they should wait till down the road when we get a better feel for the characters because right now they’re too hard to understand.
I think there are pandering to the fans and no series should do that.…I get that he’s an 18-year-old male but this is feeling too much like high school. All I hear is who does he like, who does she like, who doesn’t she like, who doesn’t he like, I mean come on…
you got all this drama going on meanwhile Mumm-ra trying to take over the world and destroy the thundercats….
when the last time they actually looked for any of the stones I can’t remember. And Mumm-ra I want him to be more cruel, calculating, devious, evil among evil master villain badass but in the last 23 episodes he’s only won once. that doesn’t sound like much of a threat there.. He couldn’t even win in his own temple now that sad…I hate to say this but the thundercats need to lose more often for him to be seen as a perceivable threat…but with that said maybe they will now that he has his sword….

Wow this thing got really long didn’t intend to write that much.. just my opinion though, no reason to get pissed off over it…

Last edited by nickanu; 05-29-2012 at 04:34 AM..
nickanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #126
Singe
Thunderian Commoner
Biggest what the **** twist, turns out Pumyra was a sleeper agent working for Mumm-ra or created by Mumm-ra then planted in with the slaves for Lion-O to meet her then get close to the group.

She did help deliver the Sword of Plundarr into Mumm-ra's hands.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #127
stac
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
If Bengali does show up maybe Lion-O would feel threatened if Pumyra starts being friendly with him, but I'd think once she realizes that she's tell him that's stupid, Lion-O is the one she wants, pure and simple.
I know you're just speculating but come on, you’re getting a bit ahead of yourself there. All Lion-O did was wave the SoO around a bit and Pumyra who until then was completely indifferent to him, suddenly becomes very friendly. Lion/Pumyra is about as superficial as Tygra/Cheetara.

Anyway, why does this make me think you have everything related to Lion-O/Pumyra planned out, down to the tiniest detail…?
stac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #128
L08e16o
I think MJ made lion-o look shady in this.

He was slipping a ruthie in pumyra drink. That is not how lion-o is. MJ romance just makes the characters look bad or should I say lion-o and cheetara look bad.

Still can't get over lion-o waving the SoO when you have mummra right behind him.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #129
L08e16o
Quote:

I don't think it makes pumyra worse. Cheetara had many chances to tell lion-o and pumyra is not confusing another male at the same time.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #130
Big Snarf
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
This is all about their revamping Pumyra. She had little use in the original series. Now she stands out past all the others right by Lion-O's side.

She could be set up for something big, like Mumm-ra kidnaps her, she gets taken to the Astral Plane, big sacrifice moment, or she gets killed.

I got one, Mumm-ra with the Ancient Spirits of Evil resurrect Claudis to fight Lion-O. Father tears into son both mentally and physically. Also, he can still use the Sword of Omens. Massive loyalty conflicts between the others on rather to follow Claudis or Lion-O.
If the ancient spirits of evil couldn't get jevon to fight tygra there is little chance that they can get claudis to fight lion-o.
Big Snarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #131
Big Snarf
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Biggest what the **** twist, turns out Pumyra was a sleeper agent working for Mumm-ra or created by Mumm-ra then planted in with the slaves for Lion-O to meet her then get close to the group.

She did help deliver the Sword of Plundarr into Mumm-ra's hands.
A bigger WTF twist would be if cheetara is the sleeper agent. She was going for the sword on her own until tygra tagged along. And nothing about her past has been shown with three episodes left
Big Snarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #132
Mum Star
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
lmao
There aren't many tigers going to school, so my guess is boys around the world needn't worry about that

If that were to happen I'd prefer for Hattanzo to show up and fix it. That was his trade after all, Bengali could come along with him as an apprentice: it's not that I don't like the tiger, but I'd much rather see the Drifter again.
Actually what I'd like to see would be for the Cat's to find Hattanzo to fix it... But he can't as only members of a certain liniage can work the metal the Sword is made of. Then they find Bengali, who is of the liniage... But he feels he lacks the skill to repair the sword. Then Hattanzo and Bengali work together to fix it.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #133
KaleRylan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIBMRatchet View Post
New Lion-O totally did the Original Lion-O opening sequence move. Loved it.

Bit of a cheesy episode. I don't like Lion-O/Pumyra being forced on. Should have happened gradually overtime... NOT within a single episode.
I loved that part of the episode. They had the theme song playing in the background while Lion-o did some truly badass, and classic, thundercats moves. This is literally what I have wanted from the show all along.

The Lion-o/Pumyra relationship has definitely been moved too fast, but at the same time I don't mind it. So far it's seemed kind of fun. They do dumb things, they have moments, and none of it results in show-killing retardation or drama. In a children's cartoon, that's what I want out of my love stories.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #134
stormbringer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Snarf View Post
A bigger WTF twist would be if cheetara is the sleeper agent. She was going for the sword on her own until tygra tagged along. And nothing about her past has been shown with three episodes left
Maybe she's a "child" of the ASOE just like Mumm-Ra?
stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #135
KaleRylan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickanu View Post
I just feel that Lion-o grabbing at whatever female cat is around him, regardless of who it is. With him quickly jumping from one to another it just makes it seem like little crushes and are not to be taken to seriously.
Another thing I feel that love should not be such a focus on this series at this point in time they should wait till down the road when we get a better feel for the characters because right now they’re too hard to understand.
I think there are pandering to the fans and no series should do that.…I get that he’s an 18-year-old male but this is feeling too much like high school. All I hear is who does he like, who does she like, who doesn’t she like, who doesn’t he like, I mean come on…
you got all this drama going on meanwhile Mumm-ra trying to take over the world and destroy the thundercats….
when the last time they actually looked for any of the stones I can’t remember. And Mumm-ra I want him to be more cruel, copulating, devious, evil among evil master villain badass but in the last 23 episodes he’s only won once. that doesn’t sound like much of a threat there.. He couldn’t even win in his own temple now that sad…I hate to say this but the thundercats need to lose more often for him to be seen as a perceivable threat…but with that said maybe they will now that he has his sword….

Wow this thing got really long didn’t intend to write that much.. just my opinion though, no reason to get pissed off over it…
Good points, although i really don't mind romance if done well, but it shouldn't overshadow the action and plot, which it kind of has in this series, at least sometimes.

As for Mumm-ra, despite being a weird example, this episode was good for making him seem more of a threat. There was an epic battle that was well-animated and well fought, and the cats lost, only being saved by an outside factor. True, they didn't have to retreat and it wasn't Mumm-ra's normal form, but it did at least help show that Mumm-ra CAN defeat them, which is something that was becoming iffy.

Also, I think you mean calculating, not copulating. Pretty sure copulating means to breed, which is NOT something we want to see Mumm-ra doing.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #136
KaleRylan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
I think MJ made lion-o look shady in this.

He was slipping a ruthie in pumyra drink. That is not how lion-o is. MJ romance just makes the characters look bad or should I say lion-o and cheetara look bad.

Still can't get over lion-o waving the SoO when you have mummra right behind him.
I thought the same thing when I watched the love potion scene. I give them a pass because love potions have a long history in fiction, but they definitely take on a different feeling now that we have REAL 'love potions' Makes you re-think a lot of those old fairy-tales. Although even in those stories, love potions rarely worked out.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #137
KaleRylan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
I don't think it makes pumyra worse. Cheetara had many chances to tell lion-o and pumyra is not confusing another male at the same time.
I basically agree with you, but I think the point Mum Star is making, which would be kind of accurate, is that Cheetara was eventually explained to be 'helping' and 'watching over' Lion-o. Pumyra, on the other hand, is just being (potentially) romantic. She's not his guardian or anything, so unless she's a spy or something, she presumably has no alterior motives when she smiles at him, or kisses him, or whatever.

That means that if she up and left him she wouldn't have the justification that cheetara did of Lion-o just being confused.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #138
nickanu
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Also, I think you mean calculating, not copulating. Pretty sure copulating means to breed, which is NOT something we want to see Mumm-ra doing.
Ahaha!...yeah definitely...it's one of those times my auto speller gets the best of me...the bastard.. ^v^
nickanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #139
Thundercat77
Growler77
As a 35 year old "old school" Thundercats fan I can say I love the revamping of the characters I fell in love with as a child, and the more "grown up" feel of the series. I think the romance in the series was put in to appeal to the female audience, and for that I applaud the writers...maybe make it a little less cheesy, but interesting. I've read over a lot of these posts so I'm sure a lot of the guys aren't going to agree with the romance bits...you fellas must be young.
I do have some issues with character development for Cheetara...I have to agree with everyone else on that. I also have an issue with the new Tygra...he's a jerk more than anything else. Other than that, I can't believe a character who seems as humble as Cheetara would be attracted to that, period. Ugh. Not saying she's perfect, I don't agree with what she did in 13, and I still don't buy her excuse. I think there is still something she's hiding.
I didn't really care for the old Snarf, but this one is just too cute. Lol I love the fact that he doesn't talk in this one I'm disappointed in the sword of Omens...just what exactly makes it so great in this series? It seems like the only thing it does is sight beyond sight and shoot a red beam. Blah. The old sword seemed WAY more better. It seemed to be more a part of Lion-O. More magical. Unstoppable.
I would like to see more episodes with their cycles. We got what? One episode? It also seems like this journey of finding the stones is being drug out too long too. I also have to agree with you guys on the pair ups. Tygra and Pumyra seem more suited for each other. They should flip flop these relationships seriously. Kudos on Panthro and the kids. They are perfect! The season finale is getting closer and i can't help but wonder what this twist is going to be. Hopefully not anything as bad as the end of 13. That pissed me off on so many levels. Writers please stop beating the sh*t out of Lion-O. The story is supposed to be about him becoming the greatest king of all time as prophesied, right??
Thundercat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #140
stac
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
As for Mumm-ra, despite being a weird example, this episode was good for making him seem more of a threat. There was an epic battle that was well-animated and well fought, and the cats lost, only being saved by an outside factor. True, they didn't have to retreat and it wasn't Mumm-ra's normal form, but it did at least help show that Mumm-ra CAN defeat them, which is something that was becoming iffy.
I accept your points but respectfully disagree.

In “Trials Part 2,” Mumm-Ra runs away after being defeated by Lion-O in his pyramid where he was supposed to be “immeasurably powerful.”

Lion-O then beats a Plunn-Darr wielding Mumm-Ra in “Birth of the Blades,” who then flees because of the sunlight (outside factor?).

Then Mumm-Ra was beaten by this:

For a supposedly super-evil antagonist, things couldn’t possibly get worse than that. Mumm-Ra gets an F- in Villainy 101.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #141
hollowdheart
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stac View Post

For a supposedly super-evil antagonist, things couldn’t possibly get worse than that. Mumm-Ra gets an F- in Villainy 101.
Maybe he's super scared of bugs? I kid, i kid.
hollowdheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #142
fuukonomiko
Harbinger of Tiger Doom
Quote:
I accept your points but respectfully disagree.

In “Trials Part 2,” Mumm-Ra runs away after being defeated by Lion-O in his pyramid where he was supposed to be “immeasurably powerful.”

Lion-O then beats a Plunn-Darr wielding Mumm-Ra in “Birth of the Blades,” who then flees because of the sunlight (outside factor?).

Mumm-Ra needs to take a cue from Amon (LoK) or Naraku (InuYasha) or even the original Mumm-Ra who is likely turning over in his crypt.

POKEMON I tell you. Maybe they should all hitch up that butterfly, head over to Mumm-Ra's pyramid and just get it over with. Its easier than trying to find the War Stone.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #143
hollowdheart
Thunderian Commoner
Speaking of the Stone....there are only two episodes left, and still no mention of the stone. i wonder if they'll just randomly remember what they were doing before Lion-o got killed and look for it?
hollowdheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #144
AnonymousIncognito
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuukonomiko View Post
Mumm-Ra needs to take a cue from Amon (LoK) or Naraku (InuYasha) or even the original Mumm-Ra who is likely turning over in his crypt.

POKEMON I tell you. Maybe they should all hitch up that butterfly, head over to Mumm-Ra's pyramid and just get it over with. Its easier than trying to find the War Stone.
After this last episode, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Mind Stone was inside a friggin Pokeball or a Digivolver.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #145
AnonymousIncognito
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowdheart View Post
Speaking of the Stone....there are only two episodes left, and still no mention of the stone. i wonder if they'll just randomly remember what they were doing before Lion-o got killed and look for it?
They did mention it in this episode.

Panthro and Tygra talk about being two days out from the Kittens and that once they pick them up, they'd get back to looking for the stone.

Cheetara then comes up and asks about Lion-O and Pumyra. Tygra throws that sucker punch jab at Cheetara about Lion-O getting shot down again.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #146
stac
Thunder Kitty
Quote:

I agree.
In The Legend of Korra, Amon’s characterisation is handled so well. The aura of sophistication, power and fear that he projects is really well done. And it took them barely 6 episodes to do so. Compared to that, Mumm-Ra is downright pathetic.

The Legend of Korra writers at the helm of ThunderCats – that I really want to see!
Old 05-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #147
Eclipse
Witch Doctor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Snarf View Post

What's worse, I'd actually love that. I don't think it's going to happen, but Dark Cheetara would be way cooler than Dark Tygra. He's been more than halfway there anyway.

Quote:
Actually what I'd like to see would be for the Cat's to find Hattanzo to fix it... But he can't as only members of a certain liniage can work the metal the Sword is made of. Then they find Bengali, who is of the liniage... But he feels he lacks the skill to repair the sword. Then Hattanzo and Bengali work together to fix it.
This works perfectly for me. Not that they've ever cared about what works for me, but hey

Quote:
I agree.
In The Legend of Korra, Amon’s characterisation is handled so well. The aura of sophistication, power and fear that he projects is really well done. And it took them barely 6 episodes to do so. Compared to that, Mumm-Ra is downright pathetic.

The Legend of Korra writers at the helm of ThunderCats – that I really want to see!
In this, I can't but agree. They are two completely different villains, but Amon does give me the creeps with all of his mystic evilness while NS Mumm-Ra just doesn't.

As if to prove the point, last week we watched the Trials again and I noticed that while my 5YO dives under a piece of furniture every time OS Mumm-Ra transforms, she doesn't when NS does. Something's definitely missing there.
Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #148
stormbringer
Quote:

Finally an enemy even Team Rocket can defeat. Mumm-Ra the Everliving!
stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:35 AM   #149
Balgus82
Quote:
I agree.

The sad thing is Thundercats has Ethan Spalding on board as a producer and he directed several episodes of the original Avatar:TLA (some of the best ones too, like "Tales of Ba Sing Se"). I wonder sometimes how much imput, if any, he has on the writing.
Balgus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #150
Mum Star
Thunder Kitty
I think the thing with the 80's villains, especially Mumm-Ra, wasn't that they won at the end of the episode. It's that they would win right up until the end, and even then, you knew they would be back. TOS Mumm-Ra was a persistant bastard. He outright stated several times things like if at first you don't succeed, try again, and tommorow is another day. And it was rare that his faluires really cost him anything. Mumm-Ra always had more evil spells.

Of course there's also what Gargoyles did. The Xanatos Gambit. This is a great way to have the heroes win the episode, but the villian still maintain a threat, and seem competent.